Sunday, February 23, 2014

Hearts and Hexes

After months and months of focusing heavily on one-layer cards, I find my scrap paper drawer is as full as it's ever been. Expect to see lots of two-layer, white-on-white cards in the coming months as I work through the pile.

This hexagon border stamp comes from Hero Arts Borders and Arrows set, and it's stamped in a light bluish gray. I stamped it three times on the scrap, then added the sentiment (Hero Arts Year Round Sentiments) in black.




At that point, I was stumped. What would make that design look interesting? Coloring was out of the question because the outlines were too light and thin...no tolerance for my klutzy coloring. (I prefer coloring inside thick, black lines that hide my sloppiness!)

At the time, round bling just didn't seem appropriate with the hexagonal shapes, although looking at it now, I suspect it would work just fine. Angles love curves, after all.

When I'm stuck for an idea, I generally peruse my embellishment drawers, and when I got to the red drawer, I saw these fun heart gems and thought, "Why not?"

Indeed. Hexes and hearts.

Won't this be a perfect card for a soldier, sailor, airman, or marine to send to his/her significant other? It's already been sent to OWH.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts Borders and Arrows, Year Round Sentiments
ink: VersaColor
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: red heart rhinestones, dimensionals, corner rounder

9 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity of this card, it is really a pretty card. Such a clever idea when I think of all those fine lined rows that come out in stamp sets these days. Would love to try this idea. I am such a hoarder of gems I really need to start using and cant think of a better way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. I gave up. I tossed my white scrap pile today so I could start fresh. My scraps were starting to stress me out - not what crafting should do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do the most gorgeous CAS cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent way to use your scraps and your gems, Susan. Are those hearts forming little triangles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, yes, Sheila, they are. Although the red triangle is very, very flat, LOL! I added it last, and there was no way to maintain balance of the whole without flattening that one.

      Delete
  5. Excellent partnership ;oP My scraps are getting rather unruly!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you get your bling to look fabulous? I added red pearls to my husband's Valentine card (you can see it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/forgetmenotdesigns/12764685054/) and it took me an hour to place the pearls... and I'm still not happy with where they ended up! I was trying for the triangle-look but I'm not sure I accomplished it! *sigh* Someday my bling where look as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!