Monday, November 24, 2014

Fun with Glimmer Mist

Inspiration often comes from magazines, and such is the case with this card. My husband was thumbing through his new batch of cooking magazines (he has an entire 5-shelf book case FULL of old cooking magazines!), and I caught sight of a graphic that inspired this card. It was the un-outlined shape of a wine bottle filled in with green and blue watercolor-y splotches, with just a few splotches going outside the (non-existent) lines.

As you can imagine, this inspired me to pull out watercolor-y products. For me, my go-to is a spritzer bottle full of Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Mist spray by Tattered Angels. Ink up a stamp with a water-based ink, spritz with Glimmer Mist, and stamp. Doesn't get much easier.


Start by masking all but a 1.5" strip on the card with post-it notes. Then, using whatever solid stamps you have to hand, begin creating a background inside the unmasked area. It took lots of stamping with Papertrey's Watercolor Wonders and Grunge Me stamps and very light shades of green and blue Memento Ink to create this background. A few blotches went down after I'd removed the post-its, just to soften the edges.

After the background was completely dry, I switched to SU's Green Galore and Marina Mist for the balloons, still spritzing to stick with the soft effect. Then, using Memento Nautical Blue, I stamped the sentiment (also spritzed). A bit of bling finished the card!

Follow-Up on Red Birds Post:
Thanks for the responses on the Red Birds, Two Ways post. I'm sorry the cream card didn't photograph as well as I'd have liked, as many of you thought the stamped layer was white. It wasn't. It's most definitely cream, and the paper matches the base layer color much better in real life. You wouldn't believe the time I spent re-photographing that card trying to get it to look right in Picasa.

*sigh*

Anyway, while I'm glad that some of you preferred the cream card, I absolutely agree with the majority of you...the all-white card looks better to me than the cream one. Stamping on textured card stock is always an iffy proposition, and while I was fine with the results on that particular bird card, I really do prefer crisp, clean stamping that comes from a nice, smooth, high-quality card stock.

The deckle edge is lovely and a natural part of the paper, but I always find those one-edge deckles to be problematic, as you can't tear the paper on the other edges to duplicate the natural deckle (it WILL look different, even if you pre-fold and wet the paper before tearing it for a smoother tear). One edge being deckled can add interest, but I'm not sure it enhances the design on my particular card.

And really, I just prefer white card stock, even if it is fun to play around from time to time. ;-)

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Grunge Me, Watercolor Wonder; Clearly Besotted
ink: Memento and SU
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: rhinestones, post-its, quilting ruler to align post-its, Glimmer Mist

4 comments:

  1. Susan, this card is a total WOW for me! I absolutely LOVE the look you got with all the spritzing you did...superb job!
    Hugs,
    Sunshine Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I love the cards you make—they're so creatively inspirational.

    Have you considered using a lightbox? Although you can purchase one, you can also easily make one. Putting a daylight bulb in a lamp to illuminate the card makes the colors true. And no shadows. It works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of your card - it's so pretty. I have some mist and have yet to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is AMAZING! I love the colours that you chose and the effect of the spritzing.
    I don't "do" CAS very often, but this is one that I think I could maybe CASE... if that's okay with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!