Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Bits and Pieces

Bit #1

My crafty energies have gone into making a bunch of ornaments/bookmarks for our church.

A fraction of the 160 ornaments we made. I had help for rounding corners,
punching holes, cutting and tying string, and affixing labels. Thanks,
Stephen Ministers! Stamps by Paper Smooches.


The finished ornament.
A sticker label on the back
has John 15:9 printed on it.
We will present these on the weekend of Dec. 12-13 at all three services, along with a little speech reminding everyone that for some people suffering loss and illness and pain, Jesus' love can feel pretty far away, so we need to pay attention to others' needs this season and be that face and hands of Jesus for someone.

Bit #2

I read an interesting article in the most recent issue of Scientific American Mind magazine about gift giving. The relevant crafty part has to do with gift wrap. "Don't overdo the gift wrap," the article says. "Pretty wrapping paper raises expectations for a gift and increases the risk of the receiver being disappointed if the gift doesn't live up to them." Food for thought, I suppose, although I'm still processing the fact that actual scientific research has taken place to explore these issues.

Pieces

Thank you for your patience with my adulting. It's been hard going and got worse over the weekend. I lost a very dear friend unexpectedly on Saturday. Our whole church has been supporting her through three months of chemo for leukemia. She was supposed to have a biopsy Friday to verify that the bone marrow transplant scheduled for Monday was a go (things were looking good), but she developed pneumonia instead. With no immune system left, she declined quickly, despite the heroic efforts of the doctors and a whole community's prayers for a miracle. My heart is in pieces.

This Thanksgiving, please express your gratitude for those you love...your friends and family and those who influence your life in positive ways. I am comforted in knowing that Karen's final months were positively showered with love and care...for which she constantly expressed her gratitude.

Have a wonderful, gratitude-filled Thanksgiving. Abide in love.

30 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss Susan.May caring thoughts warm you in their embrace during this difficult time and may you find rest in God's faithfulness,strength in His promises and comfort in His love.
    Lu C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lu C. God is good all the time, but especially at times like this.

      Delete
  2. That's it: I'm using plain brown wrapping paper so I don't raise expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your loss. You are in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you, your friend and her family, and your church Emmanuel xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Margaret. The whole church is reeling over this. She was an amazing person of faith.

      Delete
  6. Oh, Susan, this is so sad. Sending prayers and hugs to you to help you through the difficult days, weeks and months ahead. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend. Sending love and prayers to you and her family so that your wonderful memories can provide peace and comfort now and in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, I am expressing my gratitude to you because you have influenced my life in so many positive ways. I was just talking about you this afternoon to my sister (the one you prayed for as she underwent treatment for breast cancer; she's three years out now and I am so grateful to say she's doing wonderfully). You have been in my thoughts and prayers, along with your friend and her loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'm so glad your sister's still doing so well!

      Delete
  9. De lurking to say I'm sorry for your loss.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss. I pray you have a good Thanksgiving despite that. Thank you for all you do. Hugs, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a peaceful, quiet Thanksgiving. I hope yours was good, too!

      Thanks, Tina.

      Delete
  11. Sending prayers and sympathies for you and your church family. I'm grateful for so much - including you and your blogging - thanks for sharing your faith and your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. The funeral is tomorrow. It will be a hard day for so many people!

      Delete
  12. Love the tag. Sweet and simple as usual. What a devastating loss for your community going into such a joyous season. I pray that many wonderful memories of your dear friend will comfort you as you grieve. I will indeed be thankful for my many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sadden to hear of your loss. What an empty spot in ones heart the death of a good girlfriend leaves. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry for your loss. Hugs and prayers are sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear about your friend, Susan. My best friend did have a bone marrow transplant, but she still didn't make it. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like cancer likes to take away the nest people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has in this case, and it sucks. It just does. Thanks, Tanis, and hugs to you as well.

      Delete
  16. My thoughts and prayers are with you. It is so difficult to lose people that we love.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!