|From A Somerset Holiday magazine|
This packaging exhibits layers that are extremely easy to duplicate in one dimension. A simple mask and crackle background stamping, faux ribbons stamped top and bottom, and then branches stamped over top of it all...and leaking over the edges slightly as in the inspiration photo. Add some red nail heads and a sentiment, and you've got yourself a card!
This detail shot gives you a better idea of how this was done and a good view of the nail heads. Those little dots are flatter than bling for easy mailing and have a metallic sheen that is lovely.
If you've never thought of getting inspiration from holiday magazines, here's how I troll them to fish for ideas:
1. Have a pad of post-it notes and a cup of your favorite hot beverage by your side.
2. Flip through the magazine once without marking anything...just soak up the spirit of it.
3. Page more slowly through the magazine this time, with an eye for what might translate into cards or other paper projects. Look for layouts, color combinations, materials, balanced compositions.
4. Don't overlook really busy images. Slow down and look at the details. Sometimes that small detail of a single ornament on an over-decorated tree or just a part of a busy mantel decoration will speak to you!
5. Liberally sprinkle those post-it notes around. You can write on them to remember your ideas, although I don't. I tend to remove all the post-its once I feel that I've drained the magazine of all inspiration and reuse them on the next magazine.
6. Once you're through, head to your craft space, pick a random post-it note, and play. Sometimes, I get so excited about an idea that I have to run immediately to craft space and give it a go. Then, I'm down the rabbit hole and who knows where that will lead?
7. It's always fun!
Happy inspirational stamping!
stamps: Hero Arts Holiday Pine Boughs; Papertrey Keep It Simple Christmas and Faux Postage
ink: Archival red geranium, library green, fern green; Hero Arts sand, cup o' joe
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: red nail heads