Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fruitful Silliness (edited)



There's a story behind this card. If you like pear images, don't read this post. You have been warned.

I'm not a fan of pear stamps. I know, what is WRONG with me? When I first started stamping, I was on dial-up and had no patience for looking up inspiration online. The only stamp magazines the Borders in Rapid City carried were Stampington's first (whatever it was/is called), Rubber Stamper, and Rubberstamp Madness. After a year of soaking up each issue, I developed a deep and abiding dislike for four things: the color brown, paper doll images, jesters, and pears. Those of you who prefer crisp, clean cards know exactly what I'm talkin' about, don't you?

If you really love pears and don't want anything to interfere with that love, REALLY don't read this paragraph. Just skip to the next paragraph. In medieval literature, pears symbolize the male anatomy. Yep, every time I see a pear image, I see, well, you know.... StampinUp has a particularly disturbing pear on page 113 in its current catalog. If you own that catty, shall I wait until you have looked it up so you can be disturbed, too?

Are you back yet? Okay. English majors have really dirty minds. You can read more about my dirty English-major mind HERE if you want. Or not.

When I bought Papertrey's Fruitful set, it definitely wasn't for the pears. It was for the citrus slices. And the berries. And the grape clusters. And the peaches. I can control my thoughts with these fruits. Most of the time.

So as I challenged myself to use every stamp in that set on a card, I left the pears for last. I used the big pear on an okay card just to say I had used it. It's stamped on a punched circle and if you're reading this, you might guess where that visual prompted my brain to go....

All that remained was the little pear. After banging my head on my table for a few minutes, I decided to make a VERY untraditional pear card. Of course, I like right angles and almost never deliberately make stuff crooked, but when I realized this particular sentiment (from Hero Arts) fit inside the square, I just had to make those rainbow pears laugh and giggle.

I hope you're laughing and giggling, too. Otherwise, you're trying to find me so you can pummel me with a bushel of pears for forever ruining them for you.

I'm sorry.

Supplies
cardstock: PTI white
stamps: PTI Fruitful, Hero Arts sentiment
ink: SU classic bold brights
accessories: dimensionals, square punch

27 comments:

  1. thanks for the giggle ;) and i love the card, pears not withstanding

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's soo funny Susan lollol! Great card nevertheless. Just goes to show how talented you are .. you can make yukky stamps look good :-D

    Cheers from DownUnder

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog today and immediately became a follower. I can't believe the name of your blog is just Simplicity...Didn't you forget to put genius or perfection in there somewhere?? LOVE your cards and writing ability!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the card at first sight. Then I read what you had to say about it and I am howling with laughter. My children keep asking what is funny and they don't seem to find fruit as humourous as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. English majors aren't the only ones with dirty minds. I won't tell you what my profession was for 17 years but I thoroughly enjoyed your post today. And I'm LOL!!! :0) (Guess I'll have to go online as I don't have SU's current cattie.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll never again look at pears without thinking of this post! Love the card. What kind of ink did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You crack me up....but I know EXACTLY which SU set to which you're referring....one I would NEVER buy for exactly that reason!! Anyway, this is quite a fun little card, pears and all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never *got* the popularity of pears but your card has made me see them in a new light...good to see pears can be fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word, you just crack me up! Love the card, love your writing style, and yes, I did put you on 'pause' to go check out page 113. Yikes! Can honestly say I will forever see pears in a totally different way after visiting your blog tonight.
    Thanks for the 'giggle'
    Lu C

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay Susan...as a psychologist I could make a few intersting comments....LOL ... but as a blogging buddy I am laughing my butt off!! I LOVE it and will never look at a pear quite the same way. One question for you....do you eat pears?? Hahahhaha!!! Oh, yeah, and I truely love your card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, this is your best post EVER!!!! I totally LMAO!!!! You can rest assured that I ran to my catty to check out the offending pear. Now that I'm looking at your card more closely, the leaves look like...oh, never mind. I am an English major after all--I'm sure you can guess what I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, I just read Donelda's comment and am laughing even harder now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donelda, I plead the fifth.

    And don't psychoanalyze me until you read the essay on Questioning my Intelligence I linked to above. Then let me know if you have anything to add to the repressed goody-two-shoes/tweedy academic story. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my, Susan...this is one of the funniest posts I've ever read...I mean really funny! Yes, English literature is great but bawdy...so I see your point. Yep, never look at a pear the same forever! Love the card...but mostly the story! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, you are TOO funny! I hate pears too - but given what you told me about them, I may start to like them more, LOL! Going to check the catty right now! Have a great day. So glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan you totally crack me up - and how I wish I had the SU catty so I can see what you are referring to! I guess i will have to go online to check it out! This is a great card!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too funny. I will never look at a pear quite the same. Great card by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. THAT is too funny! Of course I had to turn to page 113 in my catty to see what it was you were talking about, and I have that set!! I'm forever scarred by the pear image now, thanks!! Just kidding, I think it's hilarious. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had honestly never thought of a pear in that way before and its not like me to miss something like that!!

    I do love the card though - I think I have a little pear stamp tucked away somewhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. See, the pears don't bother me. Mussles, on the other hand.....

    Love the card. Did you use Crystal Effects on the pears? Seems like there is a gleam on them.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  21. No, no crystal effects. It's just my stellar photography skills, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So I admit when I saw this card I thought "This is the cutest penis card ever!" and was very glad to know that it wasn't just my English-major mind!
    Did you know that the heart shape is based on the vagina? Let that fact make your head explode! :)
    Thank you for the laughs and beautifully written post...I'm going to share it with some like-minded ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had noticed that aspect of pears before and thought it immediately when I saw your card. I don't know if that means my mind is in the gutter or what. Cute card though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yep...hadn't heard that medieval literature reference before, but I totally see it now.

    Thanks.

    (I'm still chuckling...and kind of glad I don't own any pear stamps now!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This makes me WANT to own a pear stamp -- tee hee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Should I feel guilty? I have a pear stamp (from another company). Laughing out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You made my day! I needed a laugh and boy did you provide it. I love art, it is so individual what people "see"..and yes, I see your point...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!