Tuesday, May 31, 2011

One-Layer Wednesday 56: Father's Day

Before we start the OLW discussion, I just want to thank you for your fun comments on yesterday's post. I was howling at the "horny" misunderstanding and especially at Lu C's comment. OMGosh, the pear jokes never get old, do they? *giggle*

Okay, back to business!

This week's OLW challenge is to make a card for a special father in your life...your own, your children's, or a father figure who is special to you.

This card will go to my uncle Darius. He and my grandfather walked me down the aisle at my wedding. Darius taught me how to turn a cartwheel, do a penny drop on uneven parallel bars, and swim. He also grills a mean steak. He's been a godly, strong, stable, solid influence in my life, and he taught me how to climb trees, so Papertrey's tree from Father Knows Best seemed perfect for his card.



How-To Tips: This card is deceptively complex. First, I used the square frame from Papertrey's Framed, but altered it by expanding the opening for the sentiment using a ruler and post-it note. The sentiment is from Hero Arts. Then, I stamped the tree in Memento Bamboo and Rich Cocoa on PTI's natural cardstock. The tree looked, well, boring, so I used colored pencils (Prisma olive and sepia) and a clear blender pencil to add shading and interest. LOVE this easy technique for enlivening simple block images, and if you'd like, I'll do a tutorial on it.

OLW Rules

1. A one-layer card is defined as a single piece of cardstock folded in half. No other layers allowed.

2. Make a Father's Day card (for a father or special father-figure in your life). Remember to keep embellishments to a minimum.

3. Upload your card somewhere online and link back to it using the InLinkz button on the sidebar of Simplicity.

4. The most important rule of all: HAVE FUN!!!!!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Father Knows Best, Framed; Hero Arts sentiment
ink: Memento
paper: PTI natural
accessories: post-it, ruler, prisma pencils, clear blender pencil



15 comments:

  1. Today I´m first! Thanks for the challenge, your card is so lovely! I´ve added mine!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super challenge. I really like your card - shading with the pencils really adds some dimension. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES, do a tutorial on that! Many times I have an idea in my head for a lovely card that just doesn't transfer to CS, and I think perking it up with your technique would go a long way. I love this tree, which is appropriate for so many occasions. Lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice card! And please give a tutorial...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tree is AWESOME!! Great card, Susan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time I've done a challenge on your site, really enjoyed it. That tree is just lovely.
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really, Susan, your tutorials are always welcome! You don't even need to ask... Love the tree card.
    Lura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card! "Yes, please" for the tutorial. Thanks for sharing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A tutorial would be great since I have no idea what a clear blender pencil is....thanks.

    Julie M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a penny drop from the parallel bars...that brings back some memories. Great card to celebrate the special men in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The card would've been fine as it was but I like the way you go the extra mile! I've been wanting to join in with OLW for weeks - maybe even months - and am so pleased to have made it! I love a one-layer card, love your blog and love the challenges! Thank you for setting them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow the card is stunning and yes please on the tutorial Luv Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here is my hero.........
    http://freubelgerda.blogspot.com/2011/06/my-hero.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Susan, I LOVE this card. It's beautiful. I'd love the tutorial also!
    Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! So simple but cute card! So stunning card! I really like it! Perfect for father's day! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!