Wednesday, November 30, 2011

One-Layer Wednesday 72: Variations on a Sentiment

This is today's second post. Please scroll down to see the first.

This week's OLW expands on my strategy for making lots of Christmas cards fast without mass producing. There are three requirements in addition to the use of a single layer of card stock:

1) use ONLY a sentiment stamp on your card...no other stamps or embellishments allowed!

2) use a NON-STANDARD size for your card

3) make at least two cards using the same stamp that vary something (color, type of ink, technique, placement of the stamp, size of card)

NOTE: There are no limits to the theme for this challenge, so if you've finished your holiday cards, consider making thank-you cards (you know you're going to need them!) or whatever theme you find most useful.

I got a little carried away with this and love the results, especially because they make me cease regretting the purchase of this stamp from Hero Arts. It's beautiful, but too big for a standard size card. Giving it the extra space to breathe makes a huge difference.

All four of my cards are 4.25" x 7" and will fit into standard 5" x 7" envelopes.


StampinUp Cherry Cobbler


Brilliance Pearlescent Ivy


Ranger Gold Tinsel Embossing Powder


Fuzzy for a Reason: Red Doodlebug Flock and Essential Glue Pad
Some of you may find this challenge particularly difficult because a single sentiment looks so excruciatingly clean and simple. Look for really interesting sentiments in your stash, and then think how you could make it even more interesting with colors, placement, shape of card. If you must, consider embossing lines to frame your sentiment, masking and sponging, using resist techniques, etc. Just don't use any other stamps or embellishments.

If this kills you, remember you can always photograph the unembellished version for the challenge, then add whatever embellishment you feel necessary. ;-)
OLW72 Rules

1. A one-layer card is defined as a single piece of cardstock folded in half. No other layers allowed!

2. Use only one sentiment on a non-standard card size (or shape), and create at least two variations of the card. NO OTHER STAMPS OR EMBELLISHMENTS ALLOWED!

3. Upload your creations somewhere online and link back to them using the InLinkz button on the sidebar of Simplicity.

4. HAVE FUN!!!


15 comments:

  1. Your cards are beautiful. That said, the challenge is giving me palpitations! I have some time to ponder it though... eek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me why this looks so elegant when you do it, and when I try, it just looks like I've forgotten something!???! White space scares me. A lot. Your cards are so pretty! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I DO love CAS one-layer, but this might challenge even me, LOL! Your cards are beautiful. The sentiment is gorgeous, love those swirls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning cards Susan, mmm now I'm thinking mmmmm oh yeah this could be fun, Thank you :0) Gay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omygosh, I can't believe how lovely "only" a sentiment on a card can be. It's beautiful! Your variations on it are equally beautiful --- the gold is elegant, the red so striking; they're all just gorgeous. Here's a perfect example of "less is more," and "clean and simple." Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this really is a challenge, Susan! I'll have to think of some ideas. Your cards are all so pretty and elegant. Interesting how just a sentiment can be very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow stunning and what alot of white space it always works for you but not when i do it Luv Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful CAS card! I am so glad to see this post because I too have some large sentiment stamps. Until now I have been at a loss, other than making a gigantic card, as to how to use them. TFS these great cards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cards turned out great! Hmmm, I will have to put my thinking cap on for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Challenges like this are why I love OLW! So simple..yet so not simple! Your cards are beautiful, Susan. Great inspiration for a great creative workout.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful cards! You sure know how to make those words shine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful challenge - I am in!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!