Tuesday, January 17, 2012

One-Layer Wednesday 75: Odd Birthday

This week's One-Layer Wednesday is to make a birthday card for a guy. I figured since this week's challenge is an odd number (insert delicate shudder here), we might as well make cards for those odd humans with an aversion to flowers and a fondness for tractors and beer.

Guys are so hard to make cards for, and so I look for inspiration wherever I can find it. I found mine in a fab congratulations card by the amazing Carly Robertson. (I think it was published in Papercrafts but can't find it now!!!!) Her card repeats the congratulations sentiment five times in five colors, and then she tied a ribbon around the bottom. I immediately saw how versatile the repeated sentiment could be.

Here's my version:



Carly's card was on white card stock with bright colors, but I went for guy tones on a flax card base. The guy I made this card for isn't exactly a ribbon guy, so I went with the medallion from PTI's fall set from a few years ago.

And Carly's pretty idea becomes a card perfectly suitable for a guy!

You may take your own inspiration from wherever you wish, but definitely file away Carly's idea for future reference. Seriously versatile and easy, people!!!

OLW75 Rules

1. A one-layer card is defined as a single layer of card stock folded in half. No other layers allowed.

2. Make a one-layer birthday card for a guy. Remember to keep embellishments to a minimum.

3. Upload your card somewhere on the interwebs, and then link back to it using the InLinkz button on the sidebar of Simplicity.

4. The most important rule of all: HAVE FUN!


Re: OLW74

I tried to comment on every single entry in OLW74, but a few blogs simply weren't working. I tried several times, so if you didn't get a comment, I'm so sorry!!!!

17 comments:

  1. wow what a card...:). I am in love with your blog. Every single card has its own beauty n at one one time most of the cards were in my favourite list. Later I deleted all of them and bookmarked your blog URL itself :)))).... Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect guy card...thanks for sharing your inspiration, definitely tucking this idea away for future use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful guy card. What a great challenge. Can't wait to see what everyone does, and then link up my ideas, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love what you made! Can't wait to get down to my room to try my own version. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the repetition, as well as the medallion in place of the ribbon. Very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your card. Perfect for a guy. And your stamping is perfect too. Yes, this card is a CAS and looks simple enough but I know if I sat down to CASE this card it would be a real challenge lining up the image just right each time. Really great work, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea! It's not at all fussy. That's a style that my guy likes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I'm new to your blog & have now become a follower. I love your style & look forward to joining your fab OLW weekly challenges.
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, stamping that perfect takes a lot of skill. It looks great, Susan. I've never seen the "flax" cardstock before-wonderful tone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic guy card - the repetition is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in awe! Even with a Stamp-a-majig, I have trouble stamping multiple sentiments so they don't look like I've been in the beer! Thanks for the challenge Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful guy card! Yeah! another OLW challenge (even though it is odd numbered) Will have to put my thinking cap on for this one and do a bit of digging through the stamp drawers. Thanks for your kind comments on my OLW 74 entry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a wonderful card!
    Thanks for the great topic. I had a lot of fun!

    Kind regards,
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't seem to get here until late in the week end! Sheesh. Hey, should I of made my shading straight across??

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Carly's idea/your card Susan! I think your medallion finishes the card perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm gonna have to CASE this one. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!