Sunday, August 17, 2014

Gettin' Punchy with Faux Postage

After a few week's hiatus from stamping, I've finally carved out time to make stuff. To give me some focus, I decided to pull some punches out and play.

If you have some old, unused tools that have been neglected lately, why not pull them out? It's fun going retro! I should probably work for a month or more just using all my hoard of punches, but I'm sure my ADD will kick in before too long.

Look! Squirrel!

I'm sure you understand.

Today's card employs not only a punch but is somewhat technique-y...or at least as technique-y as I get. Check it out:



Here's a close-up of the focal point.



First, I punched the stamp from white card stock using an old Marvy-Uchida punch. Then, I masked the edges of it with...wait for it...washi tape. To make sure the washi released from the card stock easily, I stuck it on my jeans first, then on the card stock. Once all four sides were masked, I used a combination of three shades of orange Bic and Sharpie markers to create the ombre effect. This took next to no time at all, and I wasn't fussy about it.

I love that the markers don't bleed through the washi like they would bleed through post-it notes.

Before removing the washi, I stamped the leaf twice and the sentiment in dark brown Memento ink. After carefully removing the washi, I was so happy with my little faux postage stamp! It's just too small to put on a standard card all by its lonesome, so I began experimenting with ways to ground that little stamp.

After several failed attempts using ribbon stamps, I decided to create a "ribbon" of the same Bic and Sharpie markers, masking off the space directly on the card base (again with using my jeans to reduce the tack of the washi tape). This looks AMAZING in real life. The colors glow in all that white space!!!

Of course, I used Gina K 120# Deluxe white card stock for the base. Bics, Sharpies, and Copics will not bleed through it as they bleed through my standard Papertrey Stampers Select White card stock.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts (Leaves Autumn), Clear and Simple Stamps (sentiment, discontinued)
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey white, Gina K white Deluxe
accessories: washi for masks, stamp punch, dimensionals, Bics and Sharpies

5 comments:

  1. I love this one. What a splash of colour. Just gorgeous. Hugs, Ankie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ombre effect you pulled off with Bics and Sharpies. And thanks for the tip about the washi! I held off for the longest time before I bought any. I found some at the dollar store and decided to give it a try. And have actually liked a couple of cards I've made using it.

    Another gorgeous card for your Thanksgiving Crusade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a t-shirt that cracked me up, and in my mind anyway it is related to your Look. Squirrel. It said,"I have OCD & ADD. So everything has to be perfect...but not for very long." And if you like that one, I have another.
    "Let's eat Grandma.
    Let's eat, Grandma.
    Commas save lives."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ombré effect is gorgeous. I love the bright orange.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!