Thursday, October 23, 2014

Keeping Thanks Simple: Day 5 (And a Question about Yesterday's Card)

Today's use of the Keep It Simple: Thank You set from Papertrey shows how easy it can be to set the sentiment off by a lovely stamped frame...in this case from Embellished Elegance.




I wanted to make a Christmas-y thank you and the Hero Arts green and royal red inks worked perfectly. The tiny red rhinestones come from a rhinestone alphabet sheet I bought on sale at Michael's. You get ever so many tiny rhinestones in those sets, and it's easy as pie to cut them off the letters with a craft knife.

The only reason why the sentiment is popped up is that I accidentally stamped it in green the first time. I'd meant to stamp it in red, and may or may not have said something vulgar when I realized my my mistake. So I stamped it properly in red on a strip of card stock, cut it to size, and rounded the corners slightly with a pair of scallop-edge scissors.

You'd never know I messed up except I blabbed it all over the interwebs.

And now to address a question regarding yesterday's card. Kathy Mc asked why I placed the sentiment where I did, in the upper-left sweet spot rather than in the lower-right sweet spot. Well, Kathy, two reasons. First, sometimes I get tired of putting the sentiment where it's "expected" to be. Shaking things up a bit adds interest and makes me feel daring and irresponsible. Second, I liked the idea that the sentiment would be cascading down with the flowers rather than being showered by them, as it would have in the lower-right sweet spot.

There's no "right" place to put the sentiment, and it would look perfectly lovely in the more traditional spot. But never, ever be afraid to shake things up a bit. It might flop, but it's worth the risk to be rebellious every now and then.

I hope that clarifies things.

And of course today's sentiment is centered because the frame is simply too large to fit neatly into a sweet spot.

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey
ink: Hero Arts
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: rhinestones

5 comments:

  1. WOW! Your card is gorgeous! CAS at the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that elegant frame Susan. Your gems add just the right touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked up some swirls that were on clearance at my local craft store, lots of lovely tiny little rhinestones. Something else I read or heard somewhere, (maybe The Frugal Crafter) get clear rhinestones and white pearls and color them with alcohol markers. It does work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the simple Thank You cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect explanation of the sweet spot, Susan! You nailed it once again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!