Monday, May 25, 2015

Sunshine and Coloring


The stamp set Sun-Kissed Autumn by Gina K is gorgeous...full of all sorts of goodness. Y'all know that I can't put away new sets until I use every image in them, so for the past few days, I've been working my way through the set, but I started with the most atypical image for me...a person.

You may or may not have noticed the complete lack of people in my stamping, and there's a reason for that. But this lady holding a sun balloon is shown from the back (no face to color, so yay!) and she's extremely stylized. So I took a stab at it and rather like the results!


A few things to note....

First, aqua and orange are opposites on the color wheel and therefore make a very kicky color combination.

Second, our lady needs something to stand on...people floating around on cards look weird. So I gave her some sand to "ground" her.

Third, I don't have enough shades of brown in Copics/Sharpies/Bics to do anything interesting to shade her hair. Must go shopping.

Fourth, the sun's alcohol ink feathered ever so slightly outside the lines because I put too much color right on the edge. Don't do that.

Fifth, this mistake doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. George won't even notice, I'm sure, although he will notice that I'm nowhere near as skinny as this chica is!

Sixth, Gina K's 120# white deluxe card stock won't let alcohol markers bleed through, so it's perfect for one-layer cards you want to color! It's extra-thick, though, and will sometimes crinkle on the fold, even if you score it. I used my Scor-Pal with a Teflon "bone" folder to repeatedly score the card, and then I used a butter knife repeatedly to break down the fibers even more. You can see the results are still a bit crackly, but it is better!

I hope you all had a lovely weekend.

Supplies
stamps: Gina K Sun-Kissed Autumn
ink: Memento black
paper: Gina K 120# white Deluxe
accessories: alcohol markers

4 comments:

  1. I am so in love with this card, Susan! I really think you did an awesome job with this "person". You need to try your hand at more of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!! that color combo is perfect for this card

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this set also and your card inspires me to find it and use it again, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good example of why I love outline stamps (except froufrou ones)! With a wee bit of color, they almost look like hand drawn art. Where can I get good outline stamps of the simple variety?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!