Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Copic Refresh


Full disclosure. I am NOT a Copic expert. In fact, my coloring skills barely qualify as amateur. Furthermore, I'm not even interested in spending hours watching videos on YouTube or taking any classes...it's not that motivating for me. So why do I have as many Copics as I do?

Because of all the pretty colors. Duh.

I recently filled in some gaps in my collection. Here's my updated chart, for any of you interested in building a "basic" Copic collection. (*snort*)


Obviously, you don't need ALL 75 markers for a basic set...but hopefully you can pick and choose from my chart to make the going a bit easier. If you magnify the photo, you should be able to read the numbers. Focus on your favorite colors, the ones you use the most.

Anyway, since I'm showing off the chart, I might as well show a card colored with Copics. For newbies to Copics, I use Gina K Heavy Base Weight Card Stock (120lb). It's very smooth and coated so the Copic ink moves around easily and won't soak through to the other side (a critical feature for one-layer cards). Memento tuxedo black ink won't bleed with Copics and leaves a good, solid impression on the Gina K card stock.




Here are the colors I used. They do make a nice Christmas card, don't they?



As you can see, I got a little out of the lines, but I'm using this post to work on my perfectionist issues. See, internet! I can still be proud of something that's got visible flaws. Ha!

It's progress, of a sort.



The gold centers of the poinsettias came courtesy of a humble gold gel pen. Its opaque ink covered the black nicely.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Mercy, grace, peace, and love,
Susan

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: Memento black, Hero Arts red royal
paper: Gina K
accessories: Copics, dimensionals, gold gel pen

9 comments:

  1. This is beautiful-- clean and crisp! Can you believe this kind of stripe card is what I have trouble with the most. Do you stamp all the poinsettias first and then add the leaves or do you go straight across, stamping each image in a row? I love this look and some days it seems impossible,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poinsettias first, then leaves. Poinsettias are in an irregular triangle.

      Delete
  2. I need to ask a dumb, but serious, question. What makes Copics so great, so much superior to others? They are very expensive, so I've never bought any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a dumb question at all! In fact, it's an excellent question. Not sure I'm qualified to answer it, but I'll give it a try in my next post.

      Delete
  3. Love your Copic collection. I was surprised at your lack of E33 or E34. Those are go-to brown/tans. You should check them out. Some of the colors are so similar I can see why you don't need all 134 or however many there are now. It's good to pair it down to your favorite 75 or so. I have several duplicates from my days of teaching classes (not Copic classes, but card making classes).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card, Susan! FYI if you have the Copic colorless blender, you can use it to "push" the color that is outside the line so it ends up inside the line. It is a worthwhile investment for that use alone, but it also makes great texture, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the colorless blender and have not had success doing that. Clearly I need to try again! Thanks, Karen!

      Delete
  5. I have exactly 3 Copics - the colorless blender and two brown shades. I bought them five or six years ago before I learned of Spectrum Noir markers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!