Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Seven Days of Bling: Day 6

I discovered a few problems when trying to fill flowers with bling. First, I started the flowers after using up a lot of the diversity of bling in these colors. Left with few gems to choose from and a few VERY large, oddly colored gems, my ability to fill the curvy shapes of flower petals was severely hampered.

So I didn't fill at all but simply created a basic design with two colors. The results are vaguely reminiscent of starfish, but hey, that's okay.


The ground is a shadow stamp from Hero Arts, and the sentiment is from Papertrey. It's whimsical, fun, and vaguely abstract. I like it!

In the close-up, you see that there were different sizes of yellow-green and blue bling available. I worked with what I had.




Now, with the three VERY large, oddly colored rhinestones, I needed a slightly different ground and color scheme. Because the gems would only be in the centers of the flowers and because the flower petals were white, I needed them to stand out a bit more from the white background. I chose the wider shadow stamp and went with a darker green ink to heighten the contrast, but it was also shorter, so the stamped panel is smaller and the card base/mat correspondingly larger.

Notice that the two layouts are incredibly similar, but by tweaking just a few things, the feel of the second card is completely different from the first.




These bling are yellow but had strong charcoal undertones, so I went with gray for the sentiment. That's a subtle unifying factor for this card which made my CAS-lovin' heart go pitter patter.




Do you prefer one card over the other? Do you love them both? Loathe them both? Why?

Inquiring minds and all that.

Mercy, grace, peace, and love,
Susan

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey sentiment, Hero Arts shadow stamps
ink: Memento new sprout, pear tart; Hero Arts pool; Memento Luxe London fog; Impress Fresh Ink Tuscan olive
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: rhinestones, punches, glue

6 comments:

  1. I love them both, because ... I love how you use those shadow stamps ... the starfishy bling is so interesting on the traditional flower shapes ... and anything "yellow with charcoal undertones" would go straight into my wastebasket, but you really made it work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the second card best, purely because I'm not a very blingy (is there such a word?) person. The type of bling you have on the second card is about as far as I ever go!
    Con

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them both. Love the flowers with one bling! When I first opened your email, I said "starfish". I have a friend who loves my scraps. If I don't save them for her, she pulls them from my craft room trash! They aren't large either. She has made some fun things with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the second card, especially since I have that flower punch. The first card seems unfinished to me because so much of the flower punch is showing. I'm attracted to the stronger contrast of the yellow shadow stamp on card two and the simple gem in the center of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like them both, but I prefer card #2 because of the uncluttered daisy shapes, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer the second card as well—the design seems stronger and more unified. Like Marcia said, the first card feels a little unfinished because so much of the punched flowers is showing. I like its color scheme, and I think the starfish look is neat, but because the flower shows behind the bling, it's a little confusing: it isn't clear at first whether you were going for flowers or starfish. The beachy blues and greens further the initial misconception too, I think. If the flowers were pink and purple, for instance, it might be clearer that they were flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!