Sunday, March 22, 2009

Saving a Set from B/S/T

First, today's card:



This card's focal point image comes from SU's retired Natural Beauty set, which was in my box to sell. I bought it after it retired from my demo, got it home, tried watercoloring it (this sets screams "Watercolor me!"), and threw up my hands in frustration. No matter how many people tell me, "Oh, it's easy to watercolor with reinkers and an aquapainter!" I find it difficult and frustrating because I am simply too AR/OCD to loosen up and enjoy the technique. It's a drag, but there you have it.

So I decided to sell it. Then, because indecision may or may not be my problem, I decided to give it one last try because I really do love the images. I made a card with each image in the set WITHOUT WATERCOLORING a one of them and loved all the cards. Woo-hooo! I'm keeping the set.

Today's card represents one solution to a stamping dilemma: what does a simple stamper do with outline images? Stamping the image in a color and leaving it alone is one option. This works particularly well with sketchy sorts of images like those in Natural Beauty. Also, sticking with a monochromatic color scheme helps as well.

So if you need a quick card or are like me and can't watercolor worth a darn, try stamping outline images in a color and leaving them alone. You just might fall in love with old stamps all over again!



Supplies: PTI white cs, SU brocade blue cs and ink, SU Natural Beauty and Sincere Salutations stamp sets, white grosgrain ribbon, marvey scalloped square punch, CM square punch, dimensionals

4 comments:

  1. Susan,
    I just to say thank you for having a blog for your stamps. I found your cards by accident on Splitcoast and have followed your Questioning My Intelligence blog as a result. Please don't stop writing but I am thrilled that you are now doing your own Stamping Site!!! I love your cards!!! Your simplicity is my inspiration and I love to try your card designs. I am very grateful to have gotten to know you through your site, QMI. Thanks again for all your inspirations.

    Lauralee
    talascam@rogers.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing me that I don't *have to* color images! I'm not that great at coloring, no matter how much I try. Love the way this card turned out with NO coloring! Who knew?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so soft and delicate ...
    Thank you so much for all your inspiration and showing that you can create beautiful designs with minimal materials, tools etc.
    Long may you bloom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the white square on the white scallop is amazing!! I hate using my aquapainter...I always use just a watercolor brush. You might find it makes a ton of difference...at least it does for me!!! But it doesn't really matter...because this is amazing without any need to watercolor!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!