Tuesday, January 26, 2010

CAS51 Use DP on a Card...Total Protonic Reversal

This week's CAS51 challenge caught me totally by surprise because..., um, well, ...you may have noticed..., um..., I hardly ever use designer paper on cards. Don't get me wrong. I own a bunch of it, but in my carefully categorized AR/OC mind, I bought it all for scrapbooking, not cardmaking. So you might understand why this bit of movie dialogue flashed through my mind when I read Jen's challenge:

Egon: Don't cross the streams.
Peter: Why?
Egon: It would be bad.
Peter: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean "bad"?
Egon: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Raymond: Total protonic reversal.
Peter: That's bad. Okay. Alright, important safety tip, thanks Egon.

At the risk of total protonic reversal, I started the challenge using PTI's bitty polka dot paper on kraft. Isn't the punch of pink fun? And the twine bow? Okay, I don't feel like I'm embarrassing myself with this one, nor did life as I know it end. Whew.


Hmm. This second one I'm not so sure about. Something is off. The button needs to be bigger, I think. And maybe white. But I'm showing you anyway so you can see for yourself the full challenge of this challenge on me. It was a struggle, I tell ya, and by the end of this card I was terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought.



And then...well, then a miracle occurred, I toasted the Sta-Puff Marshmallow Man, and there was peace and harmony in my world!!!!



If you want to know the thought process behind this card, keep reading. Otherwise, have a lovely day and if you get a chance, please play along with this challenge. And if you've never seen the first Ghostbusters movie, please do. Then this whole post will make sense. Or not.

Back to the card. There is a sheet of coordinating die cuts that goes with the paper on the second card above. I buy these things and never use them. I just look at them and admire them and put them back in my stash. But this time, I pulled off the rectangle with the definition of summer.

Gee, the sponging around the edges looked weak, so I added some VersaMagic Aloe Vera ink to give it a little definition. Oh, that's better. What goes with summer? Why butterflies, of course! What color might go with the aloe? Hmm, let's look in my DP scrap holder. Yellow? I punched a few, and they didn't quite work. Purple? Only one scrap in that slot, a soft suede-looking purple.

THAT'S IT!!!!!!! OH MY GOSH!

I tried a bazillion different arrangements of the butterflies and definition, but something was missing. Then I remembered this little grass stamp I picked up at Hobby Lobby a century ago and never used. YES! It softens the whole thing and anchors the design, too. A few rhinestones* added for bling, and Bob's your uncle. Whatever that means.

The lesson here is pretty cool. You should take a chance once in a while and cross the streams. Sometimes, you may end up with a bunch of stuff that isn't stellar, but sometimes you may make a miracle. The first card is fine, the second not so much, but the third, well.... I don't have a word spectacular enough for it yet, but when I do, I'll let you know.

Now, go watch Ghostbusters. 'Cause it's funny.

*The rhinestones are actually a soft green similar to the aloe ink, but they photographed darker than they are.



34 comments:

  1. Love these cards Susan! So glad to see that the universe did not come crashing in around you when you used some DP! I am the same way with my DP. I think I am DP challenged or something!

    So very happy to read the news about Jack! I am thrilled for both your entire family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny...you had me lost until the toasting part....then it came back to me in a fuzzy haze. The guy I went with to see that movie actually fell asleep. Not sure if it was me or the movie.
    Anyway, I am so glad you experimented with those little pieces of DP. They are all sweet & special. LOVE that little grass, though....I have to admit that makes your third card just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your third card is Dreamy Beautiful for me. Those perfectly placed butterflies float my mind to summer while the snow out has stopped blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Susan -- the crafting world is a funny place. While I agree that the third IS the breathtakingly best of the bunch, I love the second card. I think the button works perfectly with the paper and the design is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading about your thought process - beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All 3 are very nice. Great job taking up the challenge to use DSP on a card!
    I love the little sprig of grass on the butterfly one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I love them all (although the grass stamp on the third card is just a stroke of genius!).

    I actually like the button on the second card - at least in the picture it looks like it's picking up a color in the strip paper.

    Thanks for sharing some of your thought process with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how your mind works, and that you take the time to explain it.(makes me feel more 'normal', whatever that means!) I have so much dp (it's all so pretty that I can't resist buying it!) that I almost never use. I think you did very well with all 3 cards - I think it was probably a challenge for you, but you succeeded! Love Ghostbusters, and that you have that scene memorized. Or did you go to the dvd?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for making me smile... again. Your butterfly card today reminds me of a quote by Albert Camus: "In the midst of winter, I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your cards! Esp the 3rd one! I have that little grass stamp, too...never used! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing! That last card is amazingly simple and perfectly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the splash of grass is seriously perfect. And I love the sponged edges. Marvelous! And I was at the scrapbook store last night that actually has half pearls, they were in my hands, and then I put them down for a minute, checked my time, and had to pick up my son from a birthday party. So I forgot and checked out without the pearls. I have to case some of your pearl cards soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ghostbusters is a flashback to a less than pleasant part of my life, but I see where you are going with it
    The cards are perfection, even the one you are not fond of, I think it is just great. It has DP on it but still has your trademark look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You make learnin' fun :) I, too have gobs of DP and look at it on occasion. I have even framed some of the more spectacular pieces... What does that say about me-lol?!
    BTW, I see there's a Ghostbusters sequel in the works :) That toast will come back to haunt us with this generation ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terrific cards, all. My favorites are the second and third card. Your butterflies are just perfectly placed and I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've grown to love CAS reading your blog, and I appreciate your tip on how to incorporate some of my boxes and boxes of 6x6 and 12x12 DP, but at this rate, I won't make a dent in it this decade! Love, love, love your third card. The grass is the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like all these cards. (Of course! You made them!). I think I like the second one better than the first one (because the second one has more white space, lol). But I think I would like the second one even better if the button were at the end of the paper strip, as the flower is in the first one. I'm curious why you put it where you did. The butterflies and grass in the third one are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good job - you used DP and kraft together!! That card is my favorite! So cute -

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good for you! I suppose the lesson here for me is to go ahead and try making a Vintage type card. I think I'll pass for today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm really going out on a limb here, and saying.........don't sell your house to buy more DP. While the first 2 cards are okay, I'm not thrilled, and confess to a bit of disappointment upon viewing them. Your "normal" cards are so totally awesome, these just pale in comparison. Then I got to the third card......ahhhh. All is right with the world again. I do appreciate your branching out occasionally, but I'm so glad you come back to your core.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Don't you just love discovering those perfect little touches in your own stash? The grass stamp really makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your post today said to me, "You can reclaim an entire cupboard if you box up all that DP you're never going to use and donate it to the local hospice Thrift Shop."

    Thanks! I needed that! For SIX YEARS I've needed sanction to do that.

    The spectacular butterfly card cinched it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Please let me know when you get the word because I can't think of one that will do justice to your simply beautiful butterfly card. Like many others I buy the paper because it looks so pretty BUT struggle to use it so in the cupboard it stays. I will try and rise to the challenge but think I might get wet feet!!!
    You crack me up with the insight to your thought processes; may be I'm not as mad as I think .....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ardyth, for complete accuracy, I looked up the exact dialog online (there are TONS of movie quotations from that movie), but I would have gotten it mostly right.

    Sharon D, I put the button where I did because it looked weirder on the end. No cosmic reason, I admit. It really does need to be bigger for balance, and then I think it won't look so, um, stuck on.

    Michellem, glad someone liked the kraft card! That one was for you!

    Bahb, glad to have aided your cupboard recovery program!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful cards, Susan!! I love your pink flower and how it really pops on your first card! The simplicity of the second is lovely as well. Beautiful butterfly card...and I loved hearing the process of how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on using DP!! And a great job of it too!!! That pop of pink is stunning and you can't go wrong using those little itty bitty dots!! The second card looks fine and I wonder if what is bugging you is that there are only 2 black elements!! And I adore your last card. It is simply brillinat how you added that adorable clump of grass on the card base!! Totally stealing....um, I mean borrowing that idea from you!! LOL!!! I totally forgot to check to see what the CAS challenge was this weekend....sheesh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have never equated the use of a stamping/scrapping product unfamiliar to me as a possible life altering situation before I read your post. I guess I should be more careful in the future :-)

    I'm just the opposite of you. I read the challenge theme and thought, "this won't be a challenge at all since I use patterned paper all the time".

    I think you still acheived very clean looking cards because the patterns you chose are so simple.

    The grass stamp on the last card really does make all the difference. It grounds the sentiment and gives the butterflies something to be flying over.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So, is "Bob's your uncle" kind of like "Earl's in the trunk"? They must both be from movies?

    I knew that you would have a challenge with the designer paper, but I was on the edge of my seat waiting...

    Everything you did is great! I even like the second card just the way it is!

    Now, can you please post all your wonderful creations on SCS so I can favorite them and post them as faves on Sunday? I don't always see all your wonderfulness on there and I wish it was. (sad)

    Thanks for all your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  29. well, susan, i just personally happen to love all three of these cards. they are so pleasing to my eye.

    thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts and process behind all your work.
    much appreciated.
    marty ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love reading your blog, Susan! These are three very beautiful cards but I love the last one best because of hearing your thought processes in creating it. And it is gorgeous beyOnd description!
    Your trial and error sounds so much like what I sometimes do that I couldn't help but chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  31. different strokes - guess which one's my favorite? yep, the one w the patterned stripe and button you think s/be changed! LOL! thanx for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love that summer card! Great use of depth, and still amazingly simple.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I DID reclaim that cupboard, and got rid of the guilt of all that unused paper. NO regrets!

    AND I found the Prarie Grass stamp on Ebay, bought it, and can't stop admiring that butterfly card. Something about it is sooo soothing to my soul, like listening to Andrea Bocelli sing. I'm pretty positve I won't be able to create a card as great as yours anymore than I can sing a song as good as Andrea Bocelli. That's why I'm so grateful to you and to him.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!