Wednesday, November 24, 2010

OLW30 Challenge, Part 1

This is today's second post. I just couldn't wait to share my first few cards from the OLW30 Challenge. Jennifer is hosting this week, and she challenged us to get inspired by THIS SITE.

At first, I thought, "This is going to be tough!" And then I made six cards inspired by three different ones from the website in about 40 minutes. WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?!?!?!?!

Anyway, the first card that inspired me was this one:


Now I didn't know Jennifer's challenge ahead of time, and I've actually been working on a tutorial to help people find inspiration from a variety of places rather than simply copying cards. This is a great place to start, so I'll share my thought process here.

As I quickly scanned the cards on the link, I noticed the style is largely loose and whimsically artsy...definitely not LateBlossom. This is NOT A PROBLEM. In fact, it was rather exciting to think of transforming these fab cards into something that looked like me.

The card above stood out on a first pass through the page because I really liked the combination of outline and block stamps. I thought, hmmm, I have some outline and block stamps, don't I? Sure, I do. And they are almost all from Papertrey Ink. When I started flipping through my stamp index, I was blown away by how many PTI sets have an outline and shadow image. VERY convenient, eh?

First up, the umbrella set, which I have hardly ever used (wish there were smaller umbrellas to balance all the giant ones) and thus can never remember the name of. I stamped sentiment first and arranged the black outline images around it, making sure they formed a triangle. Then, I followed those with bahama blue block umbrellas. For some reason that completely baffles me, the images are feathery around the edges. But then, I looked back at the looseness of the inspiration piece and didn't feel so bad about it.



Next, we flex to coffee cups from Warm Happiness. Ahhh, coffee. As you can see, I followed the same idea as the umbrella card, but I did only put the steam curls over the block cups. It was looking busy enough.


Finally, a Christmas card using PTI's Merry and Bright. These trees are smaller than the umbrellas and cups, so I had to add more. Since three trees tops were showing, I put rhinestones on them to reinforce the basic design.


If you haven't done so already, click over to Jennifer's blog and get the details on the challenge. I'll be posting at least two more cards for it tomorrow!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Ink
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: a bit of bling

17 comments:

  1. yikes. LOVE these cards. What a brilliant idea!! I LOVE your work. yes, I'm shouting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Susan these are just brilliant!! I particularly like the coffee cups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this is why you are the queen of the one-layer card. Lady, these are awesome!

    Glad you enjoyed it and I'm just a wee bit jealous as my second card, as simple as it may seem, took me well over an hour to make.

    You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your takes on that card, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always you've set the bar high!!!! Do I have these kind of stamps.......um!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love these...they are all awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're totally inspired today, fabulous cards everyone of them, I'm off to check it out, Thank you :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just never know until you try do you? You absolutely nailed this. I love your take on that card; you've just created another go-to option for a quick card.

    I am keen to try this challenge. (and I noticed the CAS challenge on Splitcoast is sponging this week... I might just have to try that one too!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at you go!! I am totally stumped on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These three cards are so much fun! As I started reading, I thought you were going to be inspired by the flourish-iness of the card, but of course you went in a different and better direction!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once again I am in awe of your creativity!!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your coffee card fills me with joy - love the pear color of ink you used!! Just one steamy flourish was all it needed! Thanks for the daily inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "largely loose and whimsically artsy"? Doesn't a lot of white space on your cards make the design "loose?" I love the placement of the umbrellas, coffee cups and trees - whimsically stamped here and there, right? These cards all bring a big smile to my face - they look so happy and light. I'm not sure how to interpret "artsy." What's your take on its meaning?

    Hope you and your family had a Blessed Thanksgiving!

    carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very fun use of a solid stamp and outline.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. I absolutely love your cards, they look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this style and design so much I am going to look through my stamps and see if I have an outline and solid image. You blow me away with your one layer creations Susan.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!