Tuesday, February 5, 2013

One-Layer Wednesday 126--Neglected Color

First of all, I'm so happy to have an even-numbered challenge again! The last two odd-numbered ones had me twitching.

Second, we all have neglected colors in our ink collections, colors we just don't use often...whether we dislike them, don't know what to do with them, or simply forget about them. So this week, pull out a color or colors that need some love and use them to make a card of any theme.

Here's my card, which uses Brilliance Pearlescent Olive, which I really truly hated at first, but now love and just forget about.



One of our other OLW hostesses, who shall remain nameless (Cheryl oops, Ardyth!), asked if I was going to use Orchid Opulence, which I once referred to as Fairy Vomit. Thank goodness I got rid of it all and have nothing even close to use.


OLW126 Rules

1. A one-layer card is defined as a single layer of card stock folded in half. No other layers of card stock allowed.

2. Make a card using a neglected color in your ink collection. You may choose any theme you wish, but remember to keep embellishments to a minimum.

3. Upload your card somewhere online and link to it using the InLinkz button on the sidebar of Simplicity. If linking to a blog post, remember to link to the specific post, not the blog's main page.

Please note...the InLinkz button will not go live until Wednesday mid-morning.

4. The most important rule of all...HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Grunge Me, Modern Basics
ink: Brilliance Pearlescent poppy and olive
paper: PTI
accessories: rhinestones, Bic markers (to color the rhinestones to match the poppy ink)


15 comments:

  1. Susan, your card is absolutely stunning! I love the flourish in with the design and those colors are awesome! So glad you didn't have any fairy vomit...LOL! You know so much about stamping...I have learned a lot from you. Keep up the good work...you ROCK in my book, Sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second how much I learn from you. Raising my hand to ask a question: It looks like "hello" is in the sweet spot, but the scroll is in the bottom corner. The rule of 3rds is engrained in me now and this card has more white space than usual. Would you tell us about about your design choice? You so rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sharon and Janet! To answer your question, Janet, sometimes rules are made to be broken or (in this case) bent a bit. I wanted to anchor the image a little closer to the bottom edge of the paper and draw attention to the small sentiment by placing it close to the sweet spot. The image isn't floating as much as it would if it were in the sweet spot, and all that white points toward Hello nicely. Hello could so easily have been lost in the swirl!

    The rules work most of the time, but you can break them for visual effect, sometimes very effectively! The same applies to grammar rules, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a former h.s. English teacher and can break grammar rules without blinking. Words come naturally to me. Images...not so much. You help me exercise the right side of my brain :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you broke the rules in this card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, it took me 11 loooong years of obsession to start to feel comfortable speaking in images! It will come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely OLC! I just love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card, I know exactly what colour I avoid, just have to bring myself to make a card using it. This week certainly is a challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was me (don't libel poor Cheryl!) lol! Disappointed not to see any Orchid here, but looking forward to playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Giggle giggle - love the magical inspiration I get here AND the entertainment :) exquisitely done,, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful looking card. I had a chuckle when you called the ink 'fairy vomit'. Thanks for the morning laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, it just so happens that I have some Fairy Vomit at home! Perhaps I will be inspired to pull it out tonight? Only time will tell. Tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So.... fairy vomit, eh? Love the card with so much going on in the one corner with such bold colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha fairy vomit... well, perhaps I came close to using that colour in my challenge this week?! Thanks for the challenge, it changed my mind about purple on a card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fairy Vomit! Wish I would have come up with that! LOL... Much more creative than what I called it! Susan, this was a great challenge... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!