Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Making Trapped White Space Work

When I bought the Clearly Besotted set called You Are, I knew the empty centers of the flowers would be fun to play with. Oh, the possibilities! They might even make me regret getting rid of most of my Flower Soft.

But I had no idea my epoxy dome stickers would fit so perfectly.



Happy sigh! Unless you do something with those "holes" in the flowers, they technically constitute trapped white space, which we all know is a bad thing in design, right? But while we've not changed the color of these holes, we have very much changed the texture of them. The rest of the design is clean lines and flat matte texture, but those shiny, slick domes pop right off the card!

The silver line brings a bit of shine to the matte base of the card and keeps everything light and bright.

Also note that the leaves and flowers are each arranged in visual triangles. Because, you know, triangles are good.

Of course.

Supplies
stamps: Clearly Besotted (You Are), Hero Arts (Year Round Sentiments)
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: clear epoxy dome stickers, silver metallic pen, ruler, post-its for masking

4 comments:

  1. Love epoxy dome stickers - Great use of them here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm way behind (again), trying to catch up a bit at a time. Thanks for another great lesson. You're full of 'em and I appreciate your explanations into the finer parts of design. I try to at least look at your posts every day, but don't always have the opportunity to leave a comment. Just know that you're my card designer of choice, whether I let you know enough or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great lesson - thank you. The flower centers are pretty. I like the depth they add.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me that I have 2 colors of flower soft that I has never used! Must remedy that situation, and soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!