Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Mum's the Word

I love mums. In fact, I planted three bright yellow ones in my front yard before I learned I have allergies and shouldn't do such things. Whatever. They are beautiful and add a simple splash of color to our front entry that coordinates nicely with my fall sunflower wreath.

I do not, generally, love mum stamps...especially the ones aiming for a somewhat realistic depiction. They often look sort of odd to me, like there's just too much going on in the design. I can't imagine how hard it is to translate that little miracle of mother nature to rubber or photopolymer.

Papertrey hit it for me this year, however, with Mum's the Word. It's soft, curvy, and stylized. Those curves lend a sense of movement to the flowers, which is particularly nice. Here's my first card with it using a spectrum ink pad. So much fun!



The ink pad is rather juicy, so some of the detail of the stamps was lost, and the leaves look rather blotchy. At first, I was disappointed, but after staring at it for a bit, I rather liked the looseness of it. I'm looking forward to using VersaColor or VersaMagic inks with this set, though, as they should yield some very crisp and clean images!

Rounding the corners adds to the sense of movement. I wish I had something more cosmic to say about that, but really, that's all I've got.

Thanks for your comments about Christmas. Lots of good things to think about.

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Mum's the Word
ink: Kaleidacolor creole spice, cappuccino
paper: Papertrey Ink White
accessories: corner chomper (1/2" radius), dimensionals

5 comments:

  1. The fall colors are so pretty. I do like the movement conveyed by these flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - LOVE your writing style :)

    Your card is beautiful, the variations in colour are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous colours and lovely blooms, Susan ... Anita :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!