Thursday, June 9, 2016

Metallic Pens: Part 4

Before we get started on metallic pens today, let me share with you the utterly amazing and incredibly simple contraption I built today (using plans HERE).  EEEEP!!!!!!!!

Overhead Table-Top Tripod for my iPhone

I'll post about the changes I made to the source's plans (very minor) but this was sooooo easy to put together all by my lonesome (with plans, of course, and a saw), and now, with help from my 16-year-old son, I should be able to do video tutorials!!

Of course, once you hear my voice, you may run screaming for the unsubscribe button. Come to think of it, do I really need to talk on the videos? We shall see.

Anyway, today's metallic pen cards illustrate the scariest use of those intimidating pens: edging. While I did a post showing how to do this years ago, I promise I'll do a video on how this works, which will hopefully make it less intimidating for many of you. This is my favorite way of kicking up two-layer cards a notch...or ten. Really, edging makes some cards look so much better!

Both my cards today are Father's Day cards, with two very different styles. Metallic edging works with so many different looks, doesn't it? The first card uses stylized solar system images and silver with a cool colors, while the second card uses leaves and speckles and gold with warmer colors.

Stamps: Hero Arts, Shoot for the Moon, Papertrey
Pond Life (DAD). Ink: Hero Arts pool, soft stone;
Memento Luxe black. Paper: Papertrey white. Accessories:
Wink of Stella clear pen, silver half beads, craft foam,
silver metallic marker, ruler

I shook the daylights out of my Wink of Stella pen, applied two coats, and got a bit of shimmer on the planet and star images.



The  more natural leaf card is mostly flat, except for the bling. This one will go in the post and needs to include a gift card.

Stamps: Papertrey Masculine Motifs, StampinUp speckle background.
Ink: Hero Arts sand, avocado; Memento Luxe rich cocoa.
Paper: Papertrey white
Accessories: rhinestones, gold metallic marker, glue

And that's all I have to say about metallic markers for now. I hope these posts (and the future video) help make these fabulous pens more accessible for some of you. If not, thanks for putting up with my enthusiasm!

Are there other topics you would like to see presented as a series of posts? Are there any topics you want as videos? Please let me know!


11 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see your videos, Susan. Congratulations on building the device to make it possible. I like both cards, the first being my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant Susan, how exciting! I'm looking forward to your videos and all your future posts. It is so generous of you to share your expertise, especially considering how time consuming all your other projects and obligations must be. Thanks so much. Good luck and very best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the posts that discuss design elements such as placing embellishments in a triangle, the rule of thirds etc. These do not always come naturally to me so it is nice to have them explained. I love watching videos and I love reading text so I am happy either way. You are an interesting writer so I will still read written posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Video tutorials?! Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exciting! And I like voice over videos, I bet you sound fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No one likes there own voice...but that's only YOU who will run screaming while the rest of us will be enthralled with your techniques! :D can't wait to see a video SOON! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your edging tutorials and videos would be great. Since you asked for suggestions on what we'd like to learn, I would like some hints on using a T-ruler to place things straight, i.e. alphabet stamps, etc. TIA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suggestions for a video that I've never seen done: keeping mats straight (or anything else on a card)...even when I die cut them, sometimes they just are not always perfectly straight. there must be tips or tricks?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been looking for a camera setup like this FOREVER. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited about you doing videos. Teens do come in handy now and again, huh? :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard your voice, and it is wonderful to listen to (especially with your melodic southern accent). I look forward to the videos, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!