Thursday, June 16, 2016

Playing to Type

Yesterday's card showed me stretching my creative wings, so to speak, and going all artsy fartsy with an abstract-art inspired card. Y'all have no idea how surprised and happy I was with that card...seriously jumping in my seat in unadulterated glee!

It's so much fun to stretch and grow and expand your interests, but it is also nice to return to your roots and what you love best. For me, that's clean-and-simple stamping. As one reader pointed out, yesterday's card was somewhat clean (still big white space!) but not simple. Today's is both clean and simple...and makes my heart sing!


The inspiration for this red-and-white card came from this picture on Pinterest.


Source

Looking at the quilt blocks reminded me of my business-card-inspired two-layer cards and Dot Spot was lying on my desk. The card was born. Red and white make such a dramatic statement, don't you think? It's an energetic, bold, and festive combination!

What's your favorite color to pair with white? Is it soft or bright, light or dark? What effect does that color have on you? While there's all sorts of psychology out there about the effects various colors have on us, I find that sometimes, my reaction to a color doesn't follow the textbook, so I'm curious to hear what you think.


Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Dot Spot
ink: StampinUp Real Red
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: craft foam, glue

16 comments:

  1. This is LOVE in great big RED LETTERS! ♥ What a beautiful design and gorgeous inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting that there is no sentiment! This means that it is good for many occasions—and good to have on hand when I'm caught off guard. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided the dots spoke for themselves! A sentiment would be distracting.

      Delete
  3. P.S. I love red and white, but I am always attracted to turquoise and white. To me, it is a color that is both soothing and cheerful, good for different occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card idea. Have circle swap for Monday night and this would be awesome. Now the red and white works great. I am going to play with this one. I know I have a stamp set that will work well. Thanks for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your card and the color. I like navy and white on cards - maybe because I have four brothers and three nephews to make cards for :) But I do like white with a lot of different colors - so clean and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love white paired with just about any color, and I include white in virtually all my color schemes--whether cards, clothes, or interior design. I love red and white, green and white, cobalt and white, sky blue and white, turquoise and white . . . I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Love your cheery card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that stamp...somewhere. Love your red and white card. Like your readers above, I am attracted to any color of blue. Love all with white. Looking at a group of cards on a challenge, for instance, the ones with blue stand out to me. Blue is a happy color for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this so much! I have a similar stamp set and I will be CASEing this over the weekend, and likely in a multitude of colors!!! As for color preferences, I'm schizophrenic. My answer would be different depending on the day... or time of day. No rhyme or reason. My house is all black/white/gray/silver and I change out my accessories frequently with a need for a different bursts of color. I'd normally mix white with a bright, but black looks goods too, but my BFF loves jewel tones, and dangit if a charcoal gray isn't awesome too. See??? That's why I usually make one in several colors before deciding on the one to go with. Then I get too lazy to make cards out of the extra pieces!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!