Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Playing with Collage-Style Stamping

Long-time readers know how much I admire collage--and how hard it is to make collage fit into my style of clean-and-simple stamping.

Today's card made the cut for posting. I'm pretty pleased with the balance of strong focal point, a bit of vintage background stamping, and the colors.



I colored the butterfly with PrismaColor pencils and used a colorless blender pencil to blend. No gamsol or other solvents needed. When I cut the panel, I decided to make the butterfly wings hang off the edge...a subtle but nice touch that gives an illusion of dimension.


Have you used this shelter-in-place opportunity to try something new? If so, what? Or are you sticking with your comfort crafting? Inquiring minds, and all that!

Mercy, grace, peace, and love,
Susan


14 comments:

  1. I love this - but what is a colourless blender pencil ? Keep safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do a post on it! Basically, it is a PrismaColor pencil with no color in it. You can rub it over other colors to smooth and blend them.

      Delete
  2. Dropped in on your blog after quite an abscence, and, I'm so glad I did! I love this card in particular as I love clean and simple but also collagey Tim Hotltzy stuff, but struggle to combine them. You've really cheered me up, and kick started my mojo, thankyou. Have a hug and a prayer from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! I'm so glad your mojo has been kick-started!

      Delete
  3. Love how you've combined the collage and CAS style! Taking it to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your feeling about simplicity & collage...very much a less is more crafter but do like the collage look...usually! I just can't do it to my satisfaction. Even been watching Tim's live demos on FB on Saturdays...but my main take away are his background techniques. He gets to a point, where I yelling "stop, it's gorgeous" but he continues on! Your card really does combine CAS & a touch of collage very nicely! Especially love the beautiful butterfly to set it all off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel exactly the same way! Please STOP adding to the card, LOL!

      Delete
  5. love how this came out!!!! I'm sticking with my usual plan of 10 hot messes before I find something I like. No new techniques!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with hot messes. They usually lead to something beautiful in the long run!

      Delete
  6. Definitely a winner!! I love butterflies and yours is gorgeous. I find myself watching lots of videos, jotting down notes on things I want to try. Need to actually get the the 'trying' stage :)
    Lu C

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the coloring of the butterfly, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!