Wednesday, July 14, 2010

One-Layer Wednesday 12: Watercolor

This week's One-Layer Wednesday challenge is to use some form of watercolor on your card. You may use watercolor crayons, pencils, paints, or inks painted with watercolor, or water-based markers colored onto a stamp and spritzed with water.

My samples were made using Hero Arts Three Ferns stamp and a clear set of large sentiments, also from Hero Arts. The cards are Strathmore Watercolor cards that have languished in my hoard collection for many years. They are cut down a bit to 6.25" x 4.5" to fit the design.


The orange card is so cheerful, and the green card is so serene. Amazing how a change of color affects the mood of a card so dramatically!


I experimented with lots of color combinations.



How-To Tips: I colored the Three Ferns stamp with watercolor crayon using two shades (one light, one dark) of the same color. After laying a bunch of color onto the rubber, I spritzed the stamp with water and let it sit for about thirty seconds while the pigments dissolved. Then I stamped, spritzed, and stamped again on a second card. Often, you can push stamps prepared this way for a third impression, but I liked the more intense colors.

Rules for OLW12

1. A one-layer card is defined as a single piece of cardstock folded in half.

2. Use watercolor in some way to make the card. Embellishments must be kept to a minimum.

3. Remember to share your creations by posting your card online and then using the InLinkz button in the sidebar of Simplicity to link to it.

4. Most important of all...HAVE FUN!

25 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps. I gave you a broken link. Here is the right link! THANKS again. I will come back later to see if I can figure out how to add it to the right date.

    You totally rock and I hope you are feeling well.

    http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1748628

    GirlGeek101

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great page today! I LOVE the Andy Warhol impression card! It's beautiful, and instantly recognizable as a take on Warhol. The watercolored cards are so lovely! How great that you did them in so many colors to show us the different feel of the colors. What a great notecard gift these would be. Thanks for your instructions. Wonderful post today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The watercolor cards are fantastic! Thanks for showing what a change in color can do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent idea! I'll try to play along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my!!
    i bought some watercolor crayons the last time you showed them, and wasn't very successful with them.
    i reckon it's time to pull them out again, and try harder. cuz these cards are WONDERFUL!!!!!
    marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you can make 3 squares look different. What a wonderful idea to stamp on bold cardstock and then punch.

    I bought some watercolor paper the last time you posted about the watercolor technique, so I'll be making something for today's challenge. I sure enjoy doing these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have HAD watercolor crayons for 3 years... thanks for the lesson on using them... OMG sometimes I really am clueless - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect! Just yesterday I bought watercolor cardstock from Marks'
    Finest Papers. I'm counting on it to make a miracle and turn this Crafter into an Artist. :-) I do love the texture of watercolor paper for nudging up the elegance factor on CAS cards.

    I've loved that fern since you first showed it to us months ago. And the sentiment.....wow is that ever perfect for this community.

    Thanks for being you! I wish I lived near enough to you so I could clean your house and cook your meals so you would not run out of time for making cards. I keep worrying that you'll get side-swiped by more important commitments and then what will we do?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a fun challenge! Time to break out my own hoard/stash of watercolor paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gotta love a stamp that looks good in any colour eh?! You are so right that they all give a different mood to the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning cards Susan. I love the way different colours alter the whole feel of a card. Your Andy Warhol card is fabulous too - very striking and classy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I haven't played in a couple of weeks, but I hope to play along with this challenge... I do like my watercolour paints and pencils! My crayons and I haven't learned to get along quite so well yet... :P
    These fern cards are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such pretty cards in all those colors. I am fighting a serious case of stamp envy with that Simplicity saying. How perfect for you. Thanks for the challenge. I always look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow.... adorable.. This had made me the set card as well. As others said, yes, I also look forward to your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the great challenge Susan. This is one of my favourite stamping techniques. I even buy stamps because I think they'll work really well with watercolour crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for a great challenge! Love the fab cards you made, the colours do effect the mood.

    Hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so nice! And what a great idea it is to cut down those pre-made cards for this. Maybe I'll go use some of my hoard.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd forgotten how much fun spritzing and stamping with my markers is...thanks for the inspiration, love your fern cards, Esther x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your watercolor cards are beautiful in their simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the leafy stamp. So simple and yet soooo... beeeeauuutiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love that HA fern stamp and LOVE what you did with it! I went on vacation and didn't have time to get mine on Mr. Linky, but I did get the card made! Here's my card:http://theinkydaisy.blogspot.com/2010/07/olw-12-watercolor.html

    Thanks for making these challenges such fun and doable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!