Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Regrets

As I mentioned yesterday, occasionally a set comes along that tempts me into buying it and then fails to deliver on its promise. Well, to be honest, I fail to deliver with the set. Often, the very sets that I struggle with, in the hands of another stamper, shine beautifully.

Sigh. It's all very discouraging.

Such is the case with the set Cuckoo from Hero Arts. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but despite hours spent playing with it, I can't feel that it was money well spent.

You see, I sort of knew the outline clock would be tough for me, but I sincerely thought the block clock (snort) would be easy and fun. Plus, the sentiments work for another clock set I have from Hero that has no sentiments at all.

Yet this is my favorite card I've made with the set.


This card is fine. It's even prettier in real life, and it's definitely a LateBlossom. But oh the paper I've wasted getting here!

That block clock is a bear in my hands, and I can't wrestle it into something I like to save my life. WHY!?!?!? I don't know, but I am crying uncle. The clocks in this set are dead to me. I'll keep it for the sentiments and just enjoy what beauty OTHER stampers can create with the clocks.

Sometimes quitting is liberating. Very liberating. So here's your unofficial challenge from this post: give yourself one last try with a set that's fighting your efforts and then...give up. Let. It. Go.

And then tell the rest of us about it, so we can feel good about giving up, too.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: SU river rock
paper: PTI white, SU river rock
accessories: half-pearl, threading water punch, dimensionals
size: 4.25" x 5.5"

20 comments:

  1. I have this set! I have only made one card with it so far, which is not unusual. I mostly bought it because the cuckoo clocks are so darn cute, I admit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true, Susan! I'll admit to buying this one for the sentiments and after looking at your card, feel like maybe I have not given the clocks a fair turn. Will be lovely to revisit some older sets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to buy that set! It is so cute. I'll have to go look to see if anyone is selling it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. well at least you weren't clock blocked with your rooster set! heh heh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you mimicked the scallop from the bottom of the clock. Cute card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to challenge us with revisiting a disappointing stamp. I'll give it a try when VBS is over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time I've seen this set, mmmmmm I have a feeling it may be a job for layering and fancy colouring, to make it come alive.

    I really like what you've done with your card but the image itself has no dimension. Not sure if that's what it is but this set wouldn't be top of my list although looking at the sentiments, they are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this set (because it's adorable!) but have been timid to even open the package. So what am I waiting for in the mail? HA's clock backgrounder...hoping that will help. But will it?

    You nailed it with your card. Pure cas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this set, too, but I've never used it. I bought it because of the block clock image. Consider me challenged to make a card with it this week. I really like the half pearl accent, and River Rock is one of my favorite colors. I was so happy when it came back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like all y'all, I have this set but haven't given it a fair chance (Clock blocked?! That's hilarious, kelli!). I also have a lot of the Basic Grey sets, but I hardly ever use them -- they're squishy and hard to get a good image with. Maybe I should try them out for your little challenge, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL... what you said is really down to earth, which means it happens to everyone. And you wrote it just the way it is... I also have some sets that are still lying without being noticed in my stamp drawer.. Let's check them. Thanks for reminding us, Susan. Your card is simply clean and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Consider this your fair warning, Greenhouse Garden. You better behave or it's to the B/S/T forum for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. UT! OH! here goes a trip into Guiltville, where I've stashed the useless products as well as the useless stamps. WWWWAAAAAAAAYYY too much money populated that huge cupboard. Oh the shame of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I should have a whole category of posts called, "What was I thinking?" Most of the stamps I buy are because someone else did something FANTASTIC with them, but I cannot do squat. I'm thinking: Yard Sale.

    Just set it aside, use the sentiments, and move on. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. In my younger stamping days, I would buy stamps I liked and thought I would do something with. Now days, I know my style and if I can't think of at least 3 projects I would do with the stamp I pass it up. Of course at used rubber stamp flea markets if the stamp is cheap enough it comes home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card! I like how your scallops on the side repeat the scallops on the clock--great touch. I could also see this with the three hearts at the bottom filled in with a soft red and the flower at the top in soft red, and then red scallops on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great card that you made with this cuckoo. Maybe the block clock will be more "pliable" in time or after some inspiration??!! If you need to "clear it out" I know of a great home LOL!!!! I have a bunch of these stamps ... might have to pull them out... if I have the courage!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. well i like it..lol..i love cuckoo clocks..but have never seen this..but then i love all your art..you could always throw it my way!!!..lol..tfs..loves ya

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can immediately think of a set and a single stamp that meet the "like it, but can't seem to use it" criterion. Will try to pull them out soon and give them a go. Again. In the meantime, this is a fab card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You always post these amazing cards and go on about how hard the creative process was. I don't believe you. I think that every time you touch inked rubber to paper that you create a little piece of art.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!