Monday, July 19, 2010

White Makes Bright Colors Pop!

Whew. All that colored cardstock on yesterday's post made me crave some white. Here's one of the many white-based cards I made after challenging myself (and wow what a challenge!) to use colored cardstock. It was like coming home. It feels so right. Ahhhhh.


How-To Tips: The best way to line up clear border stamps is to use a gridded acrylic block. After stamping all the borders, I realized I'd left a bit too much white on the bottom (it looked a tad unbalanced) so I trimmed about 5/8" off the bottom of a standard 5.5" x 4.25" card. Otherwise, this card is simplicity itself!

Design Thoughts: The awesome thing about white cardstock is that you can use spots of very bright color without making your eyes water. (Just try looking at a piece of yo-yo yellow cardstock by itself and you'll see what I mean.) Bright colors, used sparingly, pop right off of white cardstock.

Also, sprinkling bling is a fun way to liven-up a rather static design. I added three bits of each color of bling, trying to space them out randomly without leaving bare patches or creating unsightly clusters. The result is much more interesting and cheerful. I rounded the bottom corners because they asked me nicely.

Doesn't your cardstock talk to you? No? Well, you must not be talking to it. Open up a dialog, listen carefully, and great things will happen.

Yes, I live in my rubber room. Why do you ask?

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey
ink: Memento
paper: PTI
accessories: corner rounder, bling

25 comments:

  1. This is spectacular! Another inspiring piece of art! Since becoming a regular visitor, I've started to use more simplistic designs more often, it's amazing how many coments people make on them,but if you could see the amount of DP's I have you'll understand why I'm not a complete convert...........yet! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is spectacular! Another inspiring piece of art! Since becoming a regular visitor, I've started to use more simplistic designs more often, it's amazing how many coments people make on them,but if you could see the amount of DP's I have you'll understand why I'm not a complete convert...........yet! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Susan! You're winning me over with cards ike this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is STUNNING. Wish I had been clever enough to think of that. Now you mention it, I have heard alot of voices around my desk lately - could it be the cardstock? Or just me slowly going mad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just GREAT - love it how your card is so simple, yet soooo full of colour and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is a fab design Susan! Absolutely love its simplicity and will definitely be trying this technique! THanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you use your bling - always portioned out perfectly. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely Susan.....I love the white too....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! this is so pretty! Love the touch of rhinestones. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great; I'm glad you're happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet susan,
    Of course I love the card...but I do so enjoy the banter your have with yourself, your supplies (I mean your friends in the rubber room) and with me. I feel like I am sitting down with a (very smart designer friend) listening and learning her craft. And thanks for the giggles each morning.
    blessings
    hurivive is the word of the day (is that hurry and live in French!!!)
    patti moffett

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - this is STUNNING!! You make these cards look so effortless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, this is fun! I love the way you bling! Nifty colors too. Welcome back to white!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, yes, ditto ALL of what Patti Moffett said!

    You are just sooooo fun! I never bought a border stamp because they looked so boring. Leave it to you to unboring them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a happy card, Susan. Thanks for the tip on stamping borders straight. Mine seem to always be atilt. Love these bright colors and the little bit of bling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful card! I love the color scheme you chose. I thought your colored cardstock cards yesterday were fantastic. I agree that it's more difficult for some of us to go down that road, but you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vibrant colors do look great on white cardstock. I like the rows of dots with the little bits of bling thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how colors pop off of white and your card is no exception. Love the colors you used and the radom placement of the bling

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheerful and happy colored polka dots! Why didn't I ever think to use more than one color with that stamp?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful card and I love your journaling. You and your cards always make me smile. Thank you for sharing your talent.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. DOUBLE ditto what patti moffett said!!

    you are funny, clever, inspired, talented, and wow, what a writer!!

    thanks soo!!
    marty

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is wonderful! Love the colors, the polka dots...everything! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!