Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Scale

Here are two cards using the exact same design (at least as far as playing with positive/negative color patterns) but with completely different scale to see which I liked best just because I was curious and happened to have the right sized punches for an experiment.




Hmmm. I don't know. Part of me likes the smaller, cuter squares and flowers because, well, there is so much lovely white space. But another part of me prefers the bigger, bolder squares and flowers for the drama of it all.

Does this make me schizophrenic or merely indecisive?

I thought so.

A couple of comments on the design. First, before I send these, I might add a sentiment under the squares. Or I might not. It would just depend on the occasion. Second, the rhinestones are all lime green because when I tried a clear one on the green flower, it looked gray and totally ruined the card. Putting green rhinestones on both flowers is unexpected, given the positive/negative pattern here, but having something a little unexpected often makes a card more interesting.

In this case, I think it works nicely.

Which do you prefer? Cute or bold? I honestly don't think there's a right answer to this, just opinion. Do you have any supplies that you could conduct your own experiment on scale with?

That was a dreadfully worded question. Please forgive me. I drove all day to another state, and just minutes before arriving at my sister's house, we got hailed on. It's been a long day. But good.

Supplies
paper: PTI white, SU green galore
accessories: punches

21 comments:

  1. i like them both.
    is that an option!??

    i really like how the green just explodes next to the white.
    you are the master of simple, and stupendous!

    thanks!
    and enjoy your sister and her family.
    marty ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go with the space. Just love to breathe in that space. Great design - might give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought "which would I be more likely to make?" And, truth-be-told, I haven't made many CAS cards BUT it would be the smaller one with more space as that would seem the more natural choice.

    I read 'hailed' as, called back home! Then realised ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer the card w/the squares and flowers. The lime rhinestones are perfect. To me, the smaller squares are a little too small and seem a bit "lost" on the card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely with you on the size thing - each appeals in their own way. But I am surprised about the gemstone - my thought was, like you, why didn't she use a clear gem on the green flower but your explanation works for me, will have to try that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer the smaller squares... Just a personal choice though really, they are both lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to cast a vote for the smaller one. After reading Shirley's comment I would have to add that I probably would have made the larger one. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your card GF...hope you got my email ok...
    have a good one,
    hugs,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer the first card. I think there is better balance on the first card. The white space acts as a frame for the image. When the image is larger it seems to take up too much space.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have demonstrated in two cards a significant piece of information about life - very few things in life are completely right or wrong - there are just pros and cons and preferences. I love the pop of green on the cards and I love them both for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both are definitely nice, but I do prefer the second with the larger squares. Why, I don't know, it just works better for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the design and the opposite colors, but for some reason I want to scoot the little squares over and add a third one. I know that wasn't what you were going for, but that's me. Great use of the bigger bling that I always end up with!

    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both are great, I too would put the sentiment on the smaller squares and leave the larger ones as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I prefer the smaller squares, especially if you're adding a sentiment. But the other one makes a great notecard just as is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to be different! Bold for me! Still has plenty of white space, but I like the impact of the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, generally being one for "big and bold" (in most, but not all things! LOL!) I do like the second card the best. Since I don't really make CAS cards if I did, they'd have to be bold.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are both gorgeous Susan. The card with the cute smaller squares is my favourite!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love that you came up with this experiment. What fun! I prefer the smaller squares. I appreciate all the design elements that you share with us, I have learned so much from your cards and discussions. I have often struggled with cards that just didn't look right, but didn't know why, that's so frustrating. Learning about the "sweet spots" has really improved my designs. Thanks for all your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like them both; guess I like the smaller one a little better. Not sure why exactly, the smaller one seems "calmer"?

    I find it interesting that the "odd number" rule is being broken here. Normally, two of something all alone on a card front would seem "lonely" or incomplete. But with the overriding Positivt/Negative design theme; two is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great design and I like the smaller scale card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!