Monday, February 28, 2011

Before and After: Color and Scale

It's really amazing how color and scale can affect a card...especially a clean and simple card where there is no place to hide! If you make a card that doesn't seem quite right, ask yourself if a simple change in color or scale (or both, in this case!) might make a difference.

Before

This card has two problems. 1) The green (Memento Pear Tart...yummmm!) is too light to stand up to the orange rhinestones. 2) The rhinestones are just too, too big.



After

To fix it, I switched to Old Olive ink from StampinUp (which sadly doesn't stamp as crisply with the PTI stamps sometimes), and found some tiny rhinestones to mix in with the small ones.



Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Way to Go, Kiddo; Birthday Basics
ink: Memento pear tart; SU close to cocoa, old olive
paper: PTI white
accessories: Rhinestones, scallop scissors to round the corners of the card

12 comments:

  1. I think your mojo is returning! It really does look better with the Olive ink and a mixture of rhinestone sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes a huge difference doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful~ I always find myself looking at my card and seeing how well it balances itself out , image wise, sentiment and even size of ribbon is pretty important too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely better! Love the different sized bling...I think that's better to the eye than using all the same size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for these sorts of posts. They are really valuable in terms of learning how to improve my stamping. Seeing the final, perfect product inspires but these sorts of posts teach. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A definite improvement on the first card, thanks for sharing

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Card No. 2 doesn't quite have the Pear Tart zing of the first one but I get your point - too pale (I didn't think there was ever a time when Pear Tart was not appropriate).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, really informative. I usually do pay attention to the colours but I now know size matters too! ;) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love before & after shots! Really is helpful - plus, I was able to see "the problem" on the first! Yay to me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your before and after musings are greatly appreciated, Susan -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learn much from how you work out your "problems" with cards. Thanks again for the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I vote for the revised card. Looks cheerful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!