Tuesday, February 1, 2011

One-Layer Wednesday 39: Inspired by Vanessa Menhorn

Note: I'm posting this early because of our incredible ice storm and the fact that I don't trust Blogger to post a scheduled post on time. The InLinkz button will not go live until midnight, though, assuming I have power long enough to get it set up and on the sidebar! 

Today's One-Layer Wednesday Challenge is to use 1) an image, 2) a border stamp (or stamped border), and 3) bling (rhinestones or glitter). It's time to get creative and see how many different things we can do with these three basic elements.


This challenge was inspired by a simplification I did of a gorgeous card by Vanessa Menhorn that was published in the current issue of Papercrafts Magazine. Let's take a look at Vanessa's card first:


Vanessa used printed digital elements, ribbon, rhinestones, and stamps to make her elegant card, so it's got layers. I decided to CASify (or clean and simplify) it, and here's what I came up with:


I liked it so much in blue I decided to see what it would look like in pink!


I liked them both so much I decided they would be the basis for the OLW this week!


Rules for OLW39

1. A one-layer card is defined as a single piece of cardstock folded in half. No other layers of cardstock allowed!

2. Use a) an image, b) a border stamp (or stamped border if you're short of border stamps), and c) bling (glitter or rhinestones...doesn't matter). You may add small CAS embellishments to this list (embossing, ribbon, twine, or a charm, for instance), but you may NOT use a sentiment stamp or cardstock layers.

3. Be as creative as you like on your layout, colors, and choice of stamps. I stuck close to the inspiration card, but you DON'T HAVE TO! For instance, your border might not span the whole card, you might use lots of colors, you might make a shaped card, you might emboss with glittered embossing powder, etc. The point is to see how many different things we can do with three basic elements.

4. Upload you creation somewhere on the web and link to it using the InLinkz button on the sidebar of Simplicity.

5. Most important rule of all: HAVE FUN!

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts (small chandelier), Papertrey Ink (Text Style border set)
ink: Memento 
paper: Papertrey Ink
accessories: rhinestones



22 comments:

  1. GREAT theme for this beautiful card! I made a similar card a little while ago with the same stamp. I guess I'd share it here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/15636237@N04/5349084495/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great one Susan. I like how you took inspiration from Vanessa's card. I hope I can play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love how you CASified Vanessa's gorgeous card! hope I can join in the fun...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool CASification! I love both colors.
    Good luck with the weather -- we aren't expecting ice like you, but right now I can hardly see the houses across the street -- the snow/wind combo is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear you have ice storms and we have 40c Temps in Sydney with Cyclone Yasi off the coast and bearing down on North Queensland.........What is going on with our weather?

    Beautiful card in both colours and I love the CASification too!!
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cards...take great care...we are too having a storm but nothing like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another interesting challenge Susan! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two beautiful and simple cards, love that you have made two in different colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elegant cards! I hope the storm lightens up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love both cards and the challenge too. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm, gorgeous!

    Question: one image stamp and one border stamp?

    Not more? Can they be used more than once?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm. I'm going to have to think on this awhile.
    Hope I can come up with something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Take care with the weather. I lived in that stuff the first 43 years of my life - never again. Wanted you to know, I always open your blog last so that I can peruse it at my leisure. I get so many ideas from just one card. I don't sell or enter contests, but I do send to friends & they always enjoy my cards. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A perfect CASification! Looks like a fun challenge... I need to get my OLC mojo going again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!!! Fantastic cards and AWESOME OLW challenge!!! I'm in!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan, you rock! I left you a little present on my blog today!

    www.maryrosescafe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for another fun challenge! I´ve added mine!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Putting on my thinking cap! I love your cards. I always look forward to seeing what you make. The down side to that is...I get an image stuck in my head and then I have trouble not duplicating your card! Must be old age!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful cards Susan and I think I much prefer yours, just love that clean and simple style.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful cards, as usual. I'll be trying the challenge tomorrow. Meanwhile, we're iced in here again; but that just means I have more time to stamp.
    Stop by my blog for a chance at some blog candy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great CASification of the inspiration card, love it! I hope I didn't break the rules - I used a sentiment as well as the border and image on mine! Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanx for the inspiration! I made a couple - one's a literal CASification, and the other's a yummy cupcake ... have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!