Wednesday, July 27, 2016

A Little Askew That Works for Me, and a Placement Point

Today's card is a little askew...just enough to add interest, not enough to disturb me. And seriously, check out all that white space!!!! Does my heart good.







Here are a few points to note.

1. uncbballfan commented that the askew inspiration card reflects its message...grief makes everything feel askew. Christmas, as I said in my first askew post, isn't askew. Today's card is destined for my former pastor, who is "moving up" in the United Methodist Church. She's a beautiful soul with a heart of gold. So the red poppy with the gold center on an upward incline seems very, very appropriate.

2. I've put a gold center on this exact flower image before but used real gold leaf. It was gorgeous but time-consuming, and this time I used a gold Gelly Roll pen, let the ink dry, and love the look! So very, very easy and with a $1.99 tool. Yay!





3. The above card is actually the second version I made of the card. Below is the first version. I liked it, but notice how high up the poppy is on the stamped panel. It looks like it'll tip over and fall off the panel or roll backward off the panel. (That's not exactly the message I was aiming to send my pastor!) It's completely unstable. The second card places the poppy lower on the panel, with a larger spread across the edge. It's grounded, secure, strongly placed.



Placement matters. What do you think?

Supplies
stamps: Concord & 9th Wild Flowers, Clearly Besotted A Little Sentimental
ink: Hero Arts red royal, black
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: craft foam, glue, gold metallic Gelly Roll pen

7 comments:

  1. Yep, I can get on board with that askew. :)
    Lu C

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it right! A perfect card for your former pastor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect. As a former elementary pastor, I can say I would love to receive a card like this. It's pastor approved! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree. Comparing the cards and reading your assessment it makes prefect sense, but I would not have been able to explain why the first card seemed "wrong". Please keep stamping, writing and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Placement does matter. This came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, and thanks for showing the "too high" version... very true! I hope you'll play with a few more askews/diagonals. They're not for every card, but when they work, I think they add a lot of interest and movement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the words to explain the cards, I liked the first one but couldn't have told you why. The second looked off balance but again I couldn't have written words to explain why.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!