Monday, July 11, 2016

IC553: Yes, I Used a Black Card Base

We'd likely have to go back months in Simplicity's archives to find a card with a colored card base. With me, it's always white, white, white.

But today, white simply would not do. No sirree, it would not do.




This card was inspired by this pin:



These three white-framed pieces are, of course, on a white backdrop, which might make you think it would be a natural for my favorite white card base. When translating home decor to a small piece of card stock, however, sometimes you have to make modifications.

First, my card repeats the same word in three different sizes and fonts, while the original uses three different words in the same calligraphic style; while a card could use philosophical words, I like mine to be unified in their message, generally speaking, and three hellos send a clearer message than creativity, personality, and curiosity. Second, my card has a black "wall" to give the raised panels some pop (on a white base, they looked blah). Third, my panels have no frames because I wanted to see what would happen if I used a black base rather than repeating yesterday's layout with the black mat.

We can't get too crazy with the layers on a blog titled Simplicity, now, can we?

Note that the contrast created by the black base adds drama that's lacking in the inspiration photo. Please also note that I would never paint a wall black just to create drama. In my personal home decor, I'm a fan of peace and tranquility, not drama, and I love this dining room as pictured. I would live there in a heartbeat. Besides, dramatic black-and-white decor always takes me back to the Gross Chemistry Building at Duke University...a place full of memories I don't care to revisit.

Anyway, while my home decor isn't dramatic at all, drama is generally preferred on cards, especially if number of comments are any indication. Check out any gallery at Splitcoast. The cards with the most comments are usually pretty dramatic, high-contrast or very colorful cards.

Audrie's IC553 invites drama. I encourage you to play along!

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts, Papertrey
ink: Memento Luxe tuxedo black
paper: Papertrey white and black
accessories: craft foam and glue

5 comments:

  1. Eeeaaakkk! This is one I may have to CASE! It is a perfect card to send to the oldest Kiddo when he goes back to college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. I love this. I love the CAS esp the black and white. I agree with Starla. I may have to case this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost always go for a deep color card stock instead of black. But when I do use black, I love the drama of it. Your stair-step HELLO arrangement looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, drama is perfect for cards but in my real life, tranquility rules. Please inform my family thusly. Love your card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The different fonts are so striking. Love the white on black!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!