Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Let's Get Unconventional

A Blue Christmas need not be sad at all, especially when you tweak the shade of blue and dress it up with silver!


I love the contrast between the soft blue mistletoe and the dark teal berries. The teal--just a shade off from standard holiday/winter blue--really is a fresh surprise on this card. 

There's a lot of movement going on in the border, and the bold "Joy" balances the berries perfectly, making the sentiment the focal point of the card and unifying the two elements that don't touch each other at all. 

Joy to the world, indeed!

Thanks to all who shared their favorite holiday/winter images. I just love the variety in the answers and am so grateful we have such a selection to choose from in our hobby. 

Today's question: 
Do you enjoy playing with unconventional colors or do you stick to traditional green and red (or blue and silver) for your holiday cards? 

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey, Altnew
ink: Impress Fresh Ink, Memento Luxe
paper: Papertrey
accessories: silver metallic pen, ruler


17 comments:

  1. I'm a red and green girl all the way. The only time I use unconventional colors is when I'm making a Christmas card specific to a friends personality/likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red and green really are so very festive, aren't they?

      Delete
    2. They sure are! The colors just make me smile and feel very festive during Christmas.

      Delete
  2. I love using blue and silver, even purple occasionally. Love the card you made💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your site. So many nice cards and great tutorials.

    May I ask a question from your 2010 post with the MS bow punch. What size of bows does this make. I have two sizes of various brands of bow punches and want to make a card similar to yours from Dec 2010 with the Red Bows made with the punch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card sure brought a lot of joy to my world! Thanks for sharing, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card! This year my cards seem to be evolving in unconventional colorways. I'm creating in blues/greens, corals/limes, and kraft/ivory. I guess I'm all over the map, but I'm having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty card! And I thought blue & silver were traditional Chanukkah colors, but not Christmas. Shows you what *I* know. I'm a rebel, so I prefer non-traditional colors for any holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but I used teal rather than blue...tweaking the color just a bit. And your rebel persona doesn't surprise me in the least!

      Delete
  7. Red/Green and Blue/Silver and Red/Gold and Green/Gold and hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, so many choices and so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! I LOVE this card! I wish I could use a metallic pen to such good effect, mine smears or rubs or leaks under the tape I use to mask a straight line.....I'll have to think of something else....! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, use a metal ruler with a piece of felt glued to the bottom of it. That way, the ink won't wick under the ruler, and you'll get a nice, straight line!

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous! I am all over the spectrum - I tend to make a lot of different cards and change up the colors depending on the design! I did a red, white and pink card a few years ago that I loved!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!