Sunday, October 18, 2015

White Ink and Kraft Card Stock, Plus a Christmas Tree Card

Curious reader Beth asked what white ink I recommend for stamping snow on kraft card stock. Well, I don't use kraft paper very often, so I tried a little experiment. Only two white inks reside in my stash: StampinUp's Whisper White craft ink and Brilliance Moonlight White. Here's what I got when stamping both with a rather large shadow stamp from Hero Arts:

Top: SU Whisper White Craft Ink
Bottom: Brilliance Moonlight White
Card Stock: Papertrey Ink kraft 

Both pads were recently re-inked, which is critical to good performance. Clearly, the SU ink gives a denser, more opaque coverage, but the Brilliance isn't doing too badly.

Beth also wanted to know about drying time. Today, the Brilliance was dry within just a few minutes, but the SU ink took about two hours to fully dry. (Do you like how I split that infinitive? Ah, the joys of non-academic writing!)

Drying times can vary HUGELY depending on all sorts of factors. I have some inks that dry in a few hours, but for other people in other parts of the country, the same inks never dry or dry much more quickly. Perhaps humidity, different manufacturing batches of the ink, type of paper used, and/or amount of ink on the stamp can cause different performance.

Whatever the cause, individual results WILL vary.

Usually, if I want a good white-on-kraft, I'll heat emboss with white embossing powder. But that adds shine, which can conflict with the rustic feel of kraft card stock, depending on what style you're going for.

Beth, I hope this helps!

And now onto our card. My plan to use all my Christmas stamps or pitch them into storage for a year is proceeding nicely. The storage box has gained some sets, as well as a few wood-mounted stamps. It's amazing how hard it is to admit defeat when a stamp or stamp set is so pretty, though. I made a lot of pretty trash this weekend.

This one, however, is a keeper.


Clean, simple, geometric. The Impress Fresh Ink celery looks stylish and different with the VersaMagic tea leaves, and the little star atop the popped tree is a fun touch.

This card happened right after a VERY failed effort at a vintage-y/collage-y card, so you might imagine how happy it made me!

I hope you all had a fun weekend. We in Ohio enjoyed fine fall weather and some lovely autumnal foliage against blue skies. My favorite time of the year!

Supplies
stamps: Clearly Besotted Modern Christmas
ink: Impress Fresh Ink harvest, celery; VersaMagic tea leaves; Memento Luxe rhubarb stalk; Colorbox light brown 
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: small star punch, dimensionals


6 comments:

  1. Hero Arts Unicorn provides great coverage. Awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done a couple of cards on kraft but found the colouring in nearly broke my hands. Next step is to try stamping in white then slightly off with another colour- have you done sny of that?? On my list of to dos. Love this card with the three different trees,very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just curious. . . What stamps sets are going in the storage box and why?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clarification. . . Why didn't they make the cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly, because I found creating with them to be difficult. If it's too much of a struggle to make something I like with them, I have to ask if it's worth it to keep them. Also, some sets I keep just for a single image or sentiment...but they take up so much room...and really, do I use the one stamp I like? Not really. Must lighten up!!!

      Delete
  5. I want to repeat how much I love your work and your words, Susan. I have used several of your designs for inspiration, with my own stamps and my own twist. But, as a Stampin' Up! demonstrator, the anal aspect of my brain would be happier if you referenced the company as typed here. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!