Saturday, March 13, 2010

Text Style Goes Cute

The new issue of Take Ten (Spring 2010) has TONS of cool inspiration in it. One trend that's on practically every other page is text backgrounds, especially pages from books. While I have no moral objection to tearing up books for art, I struggle with the idea of books being ripped up in my presence and am grateful for PTI's Text Style set.

Take Ten is published by Stampington and Company, which sells stamps, so of course some of their stamps are spotlighted in each issue. Here's a photo of a page from the new issue showing some really fun and easy cards.


The stamps are not exactly my style (a bit too loose for my AR/OC tendencies), but the "Quick and Easy" headline caught my eye, and when I studied the cards, a lightbulb flicked on in my head. The cards are already beautifully simple, but they could be cleaner in style. I had to make this idea over!


These cute cat and dog stamps from Hero Arts seemed perfect for layering over PTI's Text Style. First, I stamped Text Style in SU sahara sand ink on PTI white cardstock. Then, the animals and words went down in Palette Noir. A few black Hero Arts gemstones completed the triangle of black. I lightly ran the edges of the stamped panel over the ink pad and voila!


These cute cards really do make me smile. They are also a bit outside my usual box. It's fun to play with trends to get a feel for them and how you might make them your own.

Simplicity Tip: By arranging the black elements on the card in a visual triangle, I unified the design and then anchored it with more black on the edges. Creating that sort of stability in a design lets you work with a bit busier background and still keep everything feeling simple. Also, the smaller type and light color for the text background keep the focus on the main images for an overall cleaner feel than the more artsy inspiration cards.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: SU sahara sand, Palette noir
paper: PTI white
accessories: dimensionals, black gems (Hero Arts)

29 comments:

  1. I just love, love, love your versions so much better. The lighter background really does it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're a genius!

    do you think you could come to my house and simplify my laundry sitch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan, I haven't managed much blogging recently but am back now and loving your take on the text background 'trend'! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that text background from PTI and since I have it I will have to play around with this concept. I like your samples way better than Stampington's. Both of these adorable cards made me smile - right away. Sweet images. Thanks for the tips, too. And yeah, I'd have to agree - you are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are stunning Susan!! I especially love the cat one, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan, I have to say that I really enjoyed the new layout and brighter style of Take Ten. I pulled out my copy (checked out from the library) and looked (very) closely at that page. Their text panel is the same copy on all 4 cards (weird text about "spoon bonnets" and Tom picking flowers in the forest), so it's either a stamp or copies of a page from a book; I can't imagine having 4 copies of this book! I like your card layout improvements (NO brown!) and how it is more pleasing to the eye. Thanks for sharing your take on these cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan
    thanks so much for the tips...I appreciate the way you describe your choices and then tell why they work...each time I come the your site I feel like I am coming to design class, lovin it and actually understanding to the point where I can implement without CASing exactly!! yipee
    blessings
    patti moffett

    ReplyDelete
  8. How absolutely wonderful, I can't believe how much better yours look! Love the grayness of the text instead of the black.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute, cute, cute.....

    Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BRILLIANT idea, the lighter background! Just what I needed since I have several cat and dog stamps that have never been inked. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute cards! I would have never thought of putting text behind animals, but it works.
    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charming cards that make me smile! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice! And, when it comes to stamp designs, I'm with you -- I want to buy stamps that look like an artist drew them (not me). Of course, I realize style is very personal, which is how it should be. Otherwise, the world would be a boring place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh! oh!!
    these cards are TOO darling.

    you have not only simplified, you have totally improved.
    that's not just my opinion,
    that's the TRUTH!!!
    have a great weekend.
    snuggles to hoover.
    marty ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have educated us with this great makeover! Ideas inspired here are making me smile. Your post today is a perfect example of what this reader wants to see.

    Thank you, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these Susan!! I think they are classier than the ones in the magazine - do you ever submit your work?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these - great inspiration for kids' cards.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous, love the text in the lighter colour. Hev:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are fantastic! I also love the lighter colored text. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh no! I think I _need_ to have the text bg and those cat and dog stamps now! Both of these cards are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great makeover! I love the makeovers of the Stampington-published cards. I, too, struggle with getting inspiration from their magazines. I buy them because sometimes they're the best thing available, but the style of the stamping is so not me. Thank you for showing us that even the most vintage card may have CAS bones!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning, absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a tidy take on the sample cards. I love how you cleaned up the look of this design.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are winners! I smiled ear to ear when I saw them. Thank you so much for explaining the 'why'.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not into animal images but you have changed my opinion with these cuties. I like the idea of using a lighter colour for the text image, it gives interest without taking over the card. Oops I think you already said that!!!
    Great inspiration as usual Susan ... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW, Susan! These look great!! All the great stuff about text background without it being so stark - appreciate the tips about the triangle of black too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how you take someone else's card and just make them your own!! Love these!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ahhhh, Susan, you just HAD to make cards that would make me smile, wouldn't ya? I agree, yours are better that the ones in the mag (no offense to their creator!), IMO. Thanks for making me exercise my smile muscles! Those are about the only ones that get any, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!