Wednesday, September 1, 2010

One-Layer Wednesday 18: Trees

After taking that picture of my Tree Stamp drawer, I figured we needed a Tree challenge for the OLW.


This card uses my new Hero Arts flourished tree. Oh how I love this stamp. The flourish stamp is from a clear Hero Arts set. The sentiment is from an upcoming Mark's Finest Paper's set. Doesn't the font really match the tree perfectly?!?!

I made this card with soft, soothing colors and feminine flourishes. It's for my friend Liz, whose mother entered hospice on Sunday. Her mother has been the center of her family for so long, and I wanted to use the tree to symbolize the eternal life that her mother has in Christ. Liz has a strong faith, but saying goodbye is so hard.

I have another card to add to this post later that uses the tree from Mark's Finest Paper's upcoming Halloween set...a card that is anything but Halloween. I added an unfortunate bit of ribbon to it and must take it off and photograph the card again. Sometimes, I go a step too far. This was one of those times.

Rules for OLW18

1. A one-layer card is defined as a single piece of cardstock folded in half.

2. Use a tree stamp (or, if you don't have a tree stamp, a branch or leaves will do). Remember to keep embellishments to a minimum.

3. Please share your creation by posting your card online and then using the InLinkz button in the sidebar of Simplicity to link to it.

4. Most important of all...HAVE FUN!

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful card, Susan! You're right - the sentiment looks like it was made especially for that tree! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors really soothe. I'm thinking of your friend, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course we need a tree OLW!!! Yeah!! Now if only I didn't have to head out the door to work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    I've read your last few days of blogging and they are wonderful. The recent ecconomic conditions have left some of us in great pain, myself included. I always thought I needed to have every new thing that came out. Now forced to stop buying, I've learned to enjoy what I have and use them in new ways. I have purchased a few new embelishments recently only on sale or with a coupon. I'm so happy to have found your site. I'm really inspired by your CAS style. I still like to do vintage, and shabby also. Thanks to you and your site I have another style one that love and can do almost anytime. Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this challenge! I got to use my spooky tree too!! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is really beautiful. I'm jazzed to get out one of my tree stamps and get it on a card. Thanks for the great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, lovely tree! I have a bunch that need some love -- thanks for giving me a reason to break out one or more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that tree, too. I almost bought it on sale yesterday, but do I really need another tree? (yes!)
    That swirly tree is perfect for your soft girly card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card, sits well on the flourish and you are quite right the sentiment was just a perfect fit with the tree.
    I'm waiting for a tree stamp to arrive that I spookily ordered Friday last week oooooowwwoooo, oh it's a bit early for all that really but I think that's quite a coincidence:D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Karen, I almost bought that Swirly tree too, but couldn't think what to do with it. And then you found the perfect use!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing all your wonderful tree cards today, a poem ALMOST comes to mind. :P But shhh, don't tell Susan, I think I only have TWO tree stamps...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mark's is so fortunate to have you on their team!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK, finally taking the leap into CAS cards. Needed a challenge to give me direction...
    I have a friend who always says KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) your cards, because they are just going to end up in a box, or the trash.
    Thanks for the challenge, and for a chance to finally use one of my brand new but been in a box for 2 years stamps.

    Lorrinda
    http://isntthatsweet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, what a great challenge! I was so in the mood to stamp some trees. Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    -mnfroggie (Trina)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've not a lot of time for anything much lately but there is no discussion on the need for making time for your challenges Susan, thanks for the inspiration! Love all the tree cards you have made, the different colours are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed playing your challenge this week...Trees are one of my favorites...love them in stamps and taking pictures of them. They can have so much character. This was my first time but I plan on being back...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here I am, a day late and a dollar short, LOL, but I had to play even tho' late and share a card using my latest stamp set ... a spooky one, at that!
    it's all about the candycorn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!