Monday, September 12, 2011

Blue and Orange Make Beautiful!

When I think blue and orange, I usually think of Boise State University's colors. I taught there for a year in the late 1990s. I did not like the school colors. Yes, they are complimentary colors, but, well, ick. When you change the blue to baja breeze and the orange to pumpkin, however, the whole atmosphere of the colors changes. And something beautiful happens.

First up, a white base with pumpkin grass (a new stamp I picked up at Michael's from Hero Arts). I rocked and rolled a bit of brown on the edges of the grass, and used the brown to add the sentiment (Papertrey). The strip and bling anchor the whole image. I cut the card down because there was just too much white space on the right and left, so it's now about 3.75" x 5.5". It looks much better balanced now.



Then I used a square baja breeze base (4.25") and a smaller central focal point. This sentiment is also from Papertrey...just another fall set.



The new wheat/grass stamp is pretty big, but the second card shows how even big stamps can be cut down to smaller, really useful sizes.

What do you think of these colors together?

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts (grass), Papertrey (sentiments)
ink: VersaMagic pumpkin and java
paper: SU baja breeze, chocolate chip; PTI white
accessories: dimensionals, rhinestones

26 comments:

  1. beautiful. love these together, particularly in the top one. yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors together, baja breeze is one of my favorites. That stamp is absolutely fantastic!

    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card and colours. I have this stamp too - fab isn't it?

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards!!! I think my favorite would be the 2nd one. By the way, you sound like Sandra Bullock telling Michael Ohr that she would NOT wear that dreadful orange, that it was not in her color wheel...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these colours work really well together the way you use them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh Susan, how you make blue and orange so serene and soothing is beyond my comprehension...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the color combination. Lovely card.
    Hugs
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful color combo and beautiful cards! Thank you for showing me that over the top doesn't always equal dazzling cards. Your cards are so sophisticated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those 2 colors together. The stamp is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely cards!!! I bought that stamp a while back... now I must use it this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the colours together on both cards. The first card is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This color combo is fantastic Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both cards are amazing. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. I was playing with that gorgeous stamp last week - so easy to make something effective with it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the colours - yes the tone definitely makes a difference. Was just looking at my stamp like that thinking I hadn't used it for a while. Thanks for the new inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful cards! You are right these shades of
    orange and blue make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are right, lovely together!! I adore this image .. you are going to make me have to buy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both cards work for me-pretty. Really like the stamp image you used and I think the colors work so well because they are 'watered down' versions of the original colors you mentioned. I like watered down!! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely like these colours together. I love blue (pretty much every shade of it) but dislike orange (in its true orange form). I have a good friend who is Dutch in background and he loves orange so I try to include some in his birthday cards. Your two cards would work perfectly for him - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a warm color combination. The touch of brown really brings it down to earth.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the colors. The card is beautiful. Fell in love with the stamp and when I read you bought it at Michaels I couldn't wait to get there to buy it with my 50% discount coupon. Had to work today and all I could think of was the stamp, so hoping they would not be sold out by the time I got there. I was hoping not to many people read you got it at Michaels. Stopped on my way home from work and Yeah! they had one.. Can't wait to see what I can create. Thanks Susan. Your card sample will be my Thanksgiving day card. ps.. love everything you create.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous cards! The second one really matches my style to a "T". Thanks for sharing such WONDERFUL snippets of design gems.-Hugs, Audrie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!