Friday, September 30, 2011

CraftyJC Challenge: Creative Simplicity

At the end of August, I received a lovely email from Jaya Christina, a paper crafter in India who has a beautiful blog full of clean-and-simple goodness. She explained how difficult and expensive it is for Indian crafters to get supplies. This is a common problem for crafters outside the United States, Canada, and Great Britain. I've had people in Australia, Spain, Brazil, Colombia, and Egypt tell me how tough it is for them to keep up with crafting trends and to get supplies.

We who can get everything a crafter might want--easily and affordably--have no idea how truly blessed we are.

Or are we really that blessed?

Think about all I've written lately about having so much stuff that it stifles my creativity, weighs me down. Jaya believes having limited access to supplies makes Indian crafters more creative, and I believe it. They do more with less, and they do it beautifully.

Jaya has a challenge called the CraftyJC Challenge, which "encourages and appreciates creativity--not just using fancy or expensive materials." When she asked if I would participate in this month's theme of Simplicity, I jumped at the chance to participate in an international celebration of simplicity.

Here's my card for the challenge.


It doesn't get much simpler than this. I used stamps from Hero Arts, stamped in Memento black ink and colored with three shades of Sharpie Markers. The bottom corners were rounded. I contemplated adding more (glitter, perhaps, or some Smooch), but decided this was perfect just the way it is.

Simplicity is beautiful.

I made a thank you card because I want to thank the world stamping community for providing so much inspiration. Few people in my "real" life stamp, yet I have so many stamping friends all over the world courtesy of the Internet. People take the time to share their arts and crafts with the world, and what an inspiration and gift to us all that generosity is! Thank you, Jaya, for giving us all the opportunity to connect and share.

See what you can do with less, and join Jaya and other Indian crafters in their Simplicity challenge. What a great World Card Making Day activity!

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey Ink
accessories: sharpie markers, corner chomper

15 comments:

  1. Oh Susan. This is soo beautiful! Thank you soo much for this gorgeous inspiration. And for all the kind encouragement :) You rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so gorgeous, Susan! And I love your work and follow you regularly! This card is so gorgeous, I might have to just case it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks alot Susan for so much of considerations for Indian crafters... Whatever Jaya said about availability of material is so true... Still we try to do our best with whatever we have and can afford...
    I remember when I met Jaya, she mentioned about your work... and the moment I reached home I search you on Google... and following you since then... Thanks for this super gorgeous inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi susan... nice to have found u thru JC'c blog... till date I never realized that something so simple could end up looking so beautiful.... I am amazed... thanks for the inspiration..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post, Susan! And what a beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very , very lovely. Thanks for the info on Jaya - I'll try to enter her challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I salute your gesture & your thoughts Susan! Forgive my ignorance, that I have not known you so far.... But better late than never I guess.. ;) Appreciation of our works from THE DIVAS, means a lot more than words can say!!! Thanks again for taking notice... :D

    Ash... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely cas ... thanks for connecting us with our India soulmates :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely cas ... thanks for connecting us with our India soulmates :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow susan !! Its such a fab card !! Nice to know u through crafty j c... Thnxx jaya !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. And of course you are THE perfect person to invite to this challenge. And beautiful colouring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who says you need Copics? This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, as always. Thanks for the prod to get back to the basics; sometimes we all need that :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best example for simplicity...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!