Friday, May 2, 2014

Mind. Blown. With Glitter This Time

Notes repeated from yesterday...

Note 1: There is a known problem with FeedBurner email subscriptions. If you are not receiving your Simplicity or OLS Challenge emails, please know that it isn't my fault! FeedBurner may or may not be fixing the problem, and Yahoo and Gmail may or may not be fixing the problem. As soon as I hear something, I will pass the information along.

Note 2: Please check out Cheryl's One-Layer Simplicity Challenge: Fabulous Flowers...a perfect challenge for the month of May!!!!

And now for today's stamp blathering.

Yesterday's card with its unusual fold gets a slight modification for today and the addition of some fun Stickles and a popped-up sentiment.

Direct Shot

Angled shot so you can see the fold.
It's a little smaller than yesterday's fold, and I trimmed the
back flap so the whole card fits a standard envelope.

I didn't really measure much for this card. I started with a half sheet of standard card stock (8.5" x 5.5") and scored the first fold to give enough room for the daisy. Then, I scored an inch further on, folded, and flattened the folds. After placing the piece carefully in my paper trimmer, I cut the back flap so the whole thing was 4.25" wide and would fit in a standard envelope.

There's not much room to write, but since I expect to send this to my nephew who will be five, that shouldn't be a problem. Besides, there's always the back of the card!


Details for your viewing pleasure.

These unusual folds were totally inspired by a variety of cards in the book 1000 Greetings. One set of unique folded cards consists of just black-and-white line drawings, which directly inspired this card. I just had to add color, though. The card looked a little too plain without the two spots of Stickles.

I'd originally intended to put color only on the bee, but then the card didn't look unified. Putting yellow on the flower felt wrong...too monochromatic. The orange gives just the right amount of variation while harmonizing nicely with the yellow. Yay!

This weekend, I'm going to play around with flower stamps and post some One-Layer Simplicity Challenge cards. I hope you, too, will find some floral inspiration outside your door and play along with the OLS team!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Ink
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: Stickles, dimensionals

11 comments:

  1. The flower and bee look so cute together, particularly with the way the card folds. Your sentiment looks great, hanging off the front fold. Love the font and whimsical style of the images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! And whimsical, I agree. TFS ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This had me smiling, Susan ... so cute and so beautifully balanced! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable, whimsical card. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the clean feeling of this! Let me ask you a tricky question - is this a one-layer card? I would vote yes, but I'm interested in your thoughts. This is definitely a fun fold and a wow factor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed you yes, but actually no. The sentiment popped up keeps this from being one layer. If not for that, I would say yes.

      Delete
  6. Susan this is a super fun card, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for using Springtime doodles as your stamp set -- I created that set years ago and stumbled upon this card today! Made me smile! {Beth Silaika}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this one too.. Adds that extra bit of interest into card making... :) Esp to my flailing interest :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute. Love the two splashes of color. They're perfectly balanced.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!