Monday, May 26, 2014

Off-Stamping

Note: Many thanks to all who have liked my Facebook page! It passed 100 likes in just two days! If you are on Facebook and interesting in joining, you'll find the page HERE.


A very simple stamping technique is called off-stamping. If you've never heard of it, it's inking up a stamp, stamping it once, and then, without inking, huff on the stamp (exhale moist breath), and stamp again. The result is a lighter image. You can use this technique to give the illusion of movement or depth.

Sometimes, off-stamping works fine, and other times, it doesn't work so well. Different inks...and even different colors of the same brand of ink...will respond differently. I find that the intensely colored Hero Arts inks off-stamp great! I kept huffing on the inked stamp, and it kept putting down ink in ever-lighter impressions.

 
Hero Arts Red Royale Ink

Hero Arts Green Hills Ink

The red version of the card was made with a single inking, but the green ran out faster and required two inkings, but still. It made me love the Hero inks even more.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts (leaves, discontinued), Gina K (sentiment)
paper: Papertrey white
ink: Hero Arts (red royal, green hills), Memento (brown, black)
accessories: dimensionals

6 comments:

  1. Your technique made some beautiful cards, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew about stamping off but had not heard to "huff" before hand. Will try that to see if the color is different. Thanks for continuing to share your skill outside of facebook, I'm not a facebook fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew about stamping off but had not heard to "huff" before hand. Will try that to see if the color is different. Thanks for continuing to share your skill outside of facebook, I'm not a facebook fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been awhile since I stopped by, and I like how these cards turned out. I did something similar using my French Foliage SU set last week. Like you said, it's an effective way to create depth, especially on a one-layer card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!