Thursday, September 29, 2016

Cool New Product: Nuvo Crystal Drops

While poking around at Marco's Paper a few weeks ago, I stumbled across what looked like a display of Stickles and liquid pearls, but the bottles looked a bit different. An employee was passing, so I asked about the product, called Nuvo Crystal Drops.

"Oh, yeah. Those are cool stuff! You know how Stickles dries rather flat? Well, these dry with dimension."

"So if I used the red glittery one for holly berries, they'd stay dimensional?"

"Yep."

Wow.





I experimented on scrap paper first and discovered that this stuff does, indeed, dry exactly as big and dimensional as you make it. My experiments were big enough that they would have poked a hole in the envelope, too. When making this card, however, I wanted slightly raised, not envelope-poking, berries. It was easy to get the amount of dimension I wanted, and the berries dried exactly as I wanted.




As you can see, the berries still look wet, even though they are dry. I love this because it adds to the sparkle! I noticed that thicker berries I made on the scrap weren't quite as sparkly though.

In the display at Marco's, there were two versions of this product...pearlescent and glitter. I don't know how many more bottles I'll buy, but the red glitter for holly berries was perfect. A pearlescent white might be lovely for mistletoe berries and a brown glitter for sunflower centers. My recommendation is to get a bottle or two in colors you have a need for, and then if you love it, expand.

Because as the employee at Marco's said, it's cool stuff.

Supplies
stamps: Clearly Besotted Holiday Sentiments
ink: Impress Fresh Ink celery, mojito; Hero Arts red royal
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: Nuvo crystal drops


15 comments:

  1. I've recently discovered Nuvo as well... I got "Liquid Mercury" and it's a lovely silver -- sure to see good use on my holiday cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool stuff indeed. I got a couple last month to try- gloss white & neptune blue. I'm not a fan of stickles & had seen these in action online. I just bought 3 more, so now have 10.I prefer the non-glitter ones- feel like I have better control. That said, your berries look perfect. I don't comment often, but I really enjoy your posts. Your cards are just stunning in their simplicity, a style I truly admire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like cool stuff. Well, I'll keep my eye out for the red for the very reason you have used it here--wee berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wee red, glittery berries will make you happy, Judy!

      Delete
  4. Love your card! I have ordered some Nuvo Drops and can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought two of them mainly for the crystal drop but also bought a red one. Red one seems to work better...but the crystal/pearlescent one is totally disappointing...for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that, Marilyn. I had awful luck with liquid pearls and was scared to try the ones that looked like that.

      Delete
  6. "IF you love it." Hahaha! How can I not??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, some people won't. I'm very careful how I make recommendations these days. Individual results will vary!!

      Delete
  7. Nuvo crystal drops are great you can make a whole load on a craft mat and then lift the stick them where you require them too- there is a great YouTube tutorial on them xx card is beautiful too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Debbie said, you can make your own epoxy dots with this stuff as it comes in non-pearl and non-glitter glossy colors too. Make them any size you want on wax paper, craft sheet, etc. then let them dry and add them with glue. Gives you the option to move them around and play with the placement without messing up your card. They seem to round our pretty well on they're own but you can flick the bottom of the paper to remove any peak that forms that you don't want. Cool stuff indeed! And soooo many colors and finishes!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!