Saturday, September 3, 2016

Super-CAS Saturday and Digression on the Bard


If you've followed Simplicity for a while, you know how autumn speaks to my soul.

Oh, me.

Oh, my.

Oh, autumn!

And it's not just because I love pumpkin spice lattes immoderately.

We're not quite there yet officially, but when the calendar flipped over to September, our weather in southwest Ohio became much more pleasant...still summery, but no longer reminiscent of satan's humid furnace. The pleasant weather makes me anticipate autumn all that much more.

Here are three small, very clean, very simple note cards that speak to my autumn-loving Renaissance soul.

All three cards are 3 3/8" x 4 7/8". They fit
purchased envelopes.




This delightful trefoil vine evokes medieval book illumination and Renaissance ornament as well, which explains why combining it with autumnal shades makes my heart go pitter-patter. The inks are Kaleidacolor, and I used an aqua painter to fill in the color...so easy to add variations in the colors to make the image more interesting.

The stamp is from Hero Arts' new set called Shakespearean Poetry. *happy sigh* There should be an add-on with additional quotations from the Bard. "Out, damned spot!" "If music be the food of love, play on." "Better a witty fool than a foolish wit." "There is nothing either good or bad but thinking made it so." "No." Hamlet, Act III, Scene 1 (although properly, this should have an ellipsis, since Hamlet does continue after the no, but let's not quibble). "With mirth and laughter, let old wrinkles come." "Sweet mercy is nobility's true badge." "Get thee to a nunnery."

Maybe multiple add-on sets. Will had a great way with words, words, words. There could be a set for making cards for enemies with Shakespearean insults, one for lovers, one for parents and children, one for the meaning of life, one for pure comedy, one for politics, one for lyrical beauty, one for nature, one for Halloween (mostly Macbeth, of course).... So many possibilities!

The next logical question, though, is this: when will Hero come out with Chaucer's Poetry, which would need a pear image in it for sure, or Wordsworth's Poetry with daffodils and Tintern Abbey ruins?  What about Blake's Poetry with a lion, a lamb, and a spectacularly scary image of Satan? Oh, my.

What Shakespearean quote would you like to see in a stamp? What other poet deserves Hero's attention, in your opinion? Let's get literary today.

And if brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witless.

Farewell.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts Shakespearean Poetry
ink: Kaleidacolor
paper: Papertrey vintage cream
accessories: aqua painter

9 comments:

  1. You...asking for a pear image....oh my!
    On another note, love the cards! And a quote set from the Bard is a grand idea!!
    Lu C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful cards, the colours so subtle just beautiful. ' all that glitters (glisters) is not gold' is one I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Portia's passage on the. Quality of mercy is a fave! Happy sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably don't need to say it's in The Merchant of Venice. The iPad is giving me fits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a perfect quote for you, but googled it and found that it is by Thomas Middleton: "How fell he from his wits?" I'm sure it would be appropriate for women, too, as I frequently feel that I have fallen far, far from my wits. Especially since "mental-pause."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only really remember 2 quotes, both from Macbeth "Something wicked this way comes." and "Fair is foul, and foul is fair." That second one stuck with me as a teenager and pops in my head from time to time... though I guess it doesn't make a good stamp. Sadly the only other Shakespeare I remember reading was Romeo and Juliet and I hated it (then). I guess "Parting is such sweet sorrow..." would make a good stamp, though you'd have to leave off the rest of the quote. Which is fine cause not many people know it anyway. BTW, the stamp is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Methinks you should start your own literary-minded stamp company!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!