Thursday, September 15, 2016

One Concept, Two Techniques, Completely Different Results


We will pick up on the Thanksgiving Crusade tomorrow, but for today, we're looking forward to Christmas. Remember there's an Altenew Ultimate Blog Hop Challenge and a One-Layer Simplicity Challenge going on right now as well. Have fun with them all!



For today's post, we'll take a look at two versions of one of my favorite layouts using the exact same stamps but two very different techniques.

First up. the super easy, clean-and-simple version.


Each stamp uses just one color, and the results turn natural sketch stamps into something more graphic and unexpected. There's a crispness to this version that really makes me happy.



But these stamps are vintage-looking and not intended to be used this way. So I decided to color. Y'all know that I lack mad coloring skillz, but here's how I approached it with an aqua painter and StampinUp ink.




The aqua brush is, in my opinion, the easiest way to watercolor images. I keep a folded Bounty paper towel in one hand to control the amount of water, but basically, it's pretty easy.

After punching, here's the result.



Honestly, this version looks better to my eyes, and it also feels truer to the spirit of the stamps, which are from Hero Arts' Vintage Christmas Post. The blue background for all four squares adds contrast with the background. The softness contrasts with the crisp squares and symmetry of the layout.



The mistletoe square looked a bit skimpy with the the other three more densely colored images, so I added a smidge of Stickles to the berries to add interest there.



The looks are so different that I can understand people having a strong preference. While I prefer the second card, the first still works for me, too, so my feelings aren't polarized.

What do you think?

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts Vintage Christmas Post
ink: various
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: square punch (3/4"), dimensionals, aqua painter, Stickles

19 comments:

  1. Initially, not having scrolled down to see the second card, I was very taken with the first card and felt it did fine with the sketch feel. Second card liked it, but still preferred the first. Then, the second took over in the last stretch of viewing. The soft blue just made the squares pop more off the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the second card. And I like the stickles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the blue background card best. I like the contrast with the white card base. Thanks for another great lesson, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I love the crispness of the first card, I ove the added depth and dimension the colouring on your second card gives. So I guess the second version is my favourite of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your first card. I totally love your second card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the crisp, light feel of the first card. The second card is quite lovely, but it feels weightier.
    And I just wanna say, your clean & simple cards always look so "polished" @ ready to send. I can't figure out why my clean & simple cards look unfinished. Like I just didn't put in the effort. That's what I imagine the recipients saying. "She just sent us a half-baked card!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second card is stunningly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your second one is a winner in my eyes- I prefer that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cards, love inchies. The first card is the more attention-getting and it spurs the brain to engage. The second is so harmonious that it is soothing, so it conveys a warm emotion. Each has its role. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lord 'a mercy (my Southern drawl) these cards are gorgeous...definitely putting in my to do stash

    blessings
    patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colour Susan ... and it's still CAS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Though your coloring skills are just fine, I prefer the first card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The second card does "it" for me. I think it is the blue to make the images pop. I thought the first card was quite fine too and I didn't feel it was off by the vintage sketch look of the stamps. I thought that added interest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love them both ... the first is my favorite although I would probably add a tiny black frame to make the white-on-white pop a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I like both equally, though I will probably pick the second card just because it got you to color ;-) I'd actually like to see a third version with a brownish background with the colored images, though perhaps more muted tones. That would give it the look of some of the vintage cards I found that my mom had saved. Both of your cards are beautiful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I like both equally, though I will probably pick the second card just because it got you to color ;-) I'd actually like to see a third version with a brownish background with the colored images, though perhaps more muted tones. That would give it the look of some of the vintage cards I found that my mom had saved. Both of your cards are beautiful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh la la, I love the second version! The water color background really adds something to the look, and the shading on the images gives them more depth and interest.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!