Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Two Sympathy Cards Compared

We've received several requests for more sympathy cards at Karen's Card Shop, the shop I help run at my church. So I got to work and made both of these cards back-to-back. They are in some ways a study in contrast, so posting them together makes sense.

First, the soft, controlled card.

Stamps: Hero arts Holiday Pine Branches, Gina K sentiment
ink: Distress, VersaMark; paper: Papertrey white
accessories: clear embossing powder, Martha Stewart butterfly punch,
heat gun, rhinestone, glue, sponging tool

This card uses a resist technique (clear embossing) and very soft distress ink to offer sympathy. The color is soft and clean and monochromatic, and the little punched butterfly is understated. This card's power rests in the understanding that the loved one's spirit is gone but also beautiful and transformed and full of hope.

I see the first card as the perfect card for someone whose grief is overwhelming and tragic and fresh, someone who needs to be surrounded by comfort and calm and love so they can express their grief as they see fit.

Now, the second card.

stamps: Gina K Elegant Florals, Papertrey sentiment
paper: Papertrey white; ink: Hero Arts wet cement, charcoal, navy
accessories: rhinestones

This second card has a completely different vibe. It's got a simple color scheme that has more pop than the first card, a bit more energy, a bit more contrast. While still stylized like the first card, there's more movement here, more depth, more to catch the eye and move it around the card. The bling is subtle but present. The leaves bracket the sentiment like a hug, balancing the asymmetry which reflects the unbalanced feeling of grief.

I see the second card going to someone who already has some peace with the loss, who maybe was expecting the death after a long illness or as the end of a long life well lived. The energy of this card feels more celebratory than the first, and so fitting for that sort of loss.

Sympathy cards are among the hardest cards to make. We want them to be personal and meaningful, comforting and kind. Ultimately, we can't always know how they are received, but when we pour our feelings into them, write a short, loving note, and send them, we are showing love in difficult circumstances.

And really, showing love is what this hobby of ours is all about.

Praying comfort, peace, and love to all who are grieving this day.


15 comments:

  1. Both are lovely and I'm sure will be appreciated by those who receive them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your insights and sensitivity to the fact that grief is different for different people. In March, I lost my husband, who was 45, after a 10-year battle with kidney cancer. Even though we knew his passing was coming, your first card is much more aligned with where I was/am with the loss. The fact that you bring this level of awareness and understanding to your cards is amazing and appreciated. It is why I think your cards bring so much inspiration. I have never commented before but couldn't not comment today. Thank you for your inspiration, wit and insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm so sorry for your loss...and hope that you are surrounded with just the right support you need for as long as you need it.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful Susan, that second card, like so many of your other brilliant creations, is truly breathtaking in its harmonious, powerfully moving composition. Thank you for posting your insightful lessons on the creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have analysed these cards in such depth but what you say makes perfect sense and is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why I keep coming back to your blog .... not only for the wonderful cards and design tips, but your gift with words and sharing your perspective and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are both terrific and you are right that each one has its place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we over analyze our sympathy cards. Speaking as a widow of 6 months today, I received so many nice cards, but what was the most important to me were the personal notes that people wrote inside. That said, as a card maker, I love the second card in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over-analyzing is my specialty, Marilyn! And you are absolutely correct. What matters is the note we write inside. Thanks again for sharing your perspective...and big hugs again to you.

      Delete
    2. I've learned a lot from your "over analyzing"...something I really don't do quite as much as you! But I just had to express my feelings about sympathy cards. Being the recipient has been very enlightening and changed how I make my own sympathy cards in the future. Thank you for your nice comment.

      Delete
  10. Two beautiful cards, Susan, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both are lovely. I really appreciate your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I love the second one! That's a gorgeous stamp set, and the colors are perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!