Monday, February 27, 2017

A Card for Me

Sometimes, it's good to make a card for yourself, with a message you need to hear because, by golly, you're worth it!

Today's card came out of the Inspiration Challenge for this week from Splitcoast, hosted by the amazing Audrie. My inspiration came from this graphic on the website Dribbble, which has some very cool graphic art on it.

Here's my card. To myself. Because I need it.


It's so easy to cut a mask for a stamp with a bunch of straight lines. Simple, clean, crisp.

I'm climbing a metaphorical mountain right now, and it's a little bit (okay, a lot) intimidating. My days as a stay-at-home mom are numbered as my older son closes in on college. It's all going to work out somehow, and it may even work out the way I want it to work out. But I'm climbing a mountain carrying a career gap of 18 years.

How in the world do you explain that on a curriculum vitae?

Anyway, I've got this. 

If I say it enough, maybe I'll start to believe it!


Mercy, grace, peace, and love,
Susan

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Warmest Wishes, Watercolor Wonder, Keep It Simple Encouragement
ink: Hero Arts sky blue, Archival black
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: post-it and scissors for mask


13 comments:

  1. You may not have been paid for the work you've done these past 18 years but you have amassed a whole bunch of skills you never had before. Did you think you would be blogging for example? You approach your card making in a very methodical manner and I'm sure that can also be carried over to other aspects of your life. Good luck in whatever you are trying to achieve and I hope you manage to continue with this blog because I love it and have learnt such a lot about design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you've got this! Don't underestimate the skills you've acquired as a SAHM, papercrafter, blogger, Stephen Minister, and Ironman wife (just to name a few I could think of off the top of my head!). I, too, was a SAHM for 15 years, only forced back into the work world by divorce. Putting my resume together was scary, but with the help of a professional resume writer was able to turn my volunteer work into something that landed me a job after just one interview! You'll scale that mountain with ease ... of that I have no doubt! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I have a friend who works as a recruiter. She can help me work the resume into something fresh and hopefully successful.

      Delete
  3. Exactly, as I can relate to this as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all climbing mountains in one way or another, aren't we?

      Delete
  4. You've definitely got this. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely DO have it!!!We readers of your blog know how strong and creative you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn´t it strange that the women who take care of a countrys future has to find excuses for 18 years of very valuable work?
    There´s so many of us out there and I canonly hope that more and more employers see the potential.
    I was lucky to find a job after 25 year at home and I hope my employers are happy they took the risk :O)

    Good luck to you - climbing the mountain might be intimidating, but the view will be fantastic!

    Greetings, Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's very strange. I have no regrets but certainly hadn't intended for such a long stretch of SAHM time. That happened because my younger son was diagnosed with autism, and that was a full time job in itself for a while. Whatever happens, it'll work out.

      Delete
  7. Oh, Susan, I have no doubt that you've got it. You are so creative and capable. You'll reach your mountain top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're smart, organized, and self-motivated. Any employer would be lucky to have you. And surely employers understand that many women spend time raising kids. I'm curious to hear how your recruiter friend advises you to address this time on your resume. For example, will she advise you to list volunteer work?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!