Wednesday, February 15, 2017

An Experiment: Day Seven

Well, I may have turned the corner a bit (let's say a little prayer!), so let's try to get back on track here with our Life Experiment, or How Many Ways Can We Use Papertrey's Life Set before Everyone Gets Bored?

Today's card is without exception my favorite with Life so far.



The crisp, white layers showcase the brilliantly glittery stems, and the blue just pops right off the paper! Check out the close-up below. There are two shades of Stickles on here...Waterfall and Twilight...and the variation creates a lovely depth effect. I applied Waterfall (the lighter color) first, randomly dabbing it around. Once it was dry, I added the Twilight everywhere else.




With this stamp, Stickles is an excellent embellishment. There's no need for precision, and the effect is almost impressionistic. But the glitter! Wow! It has a powerful impact and draws the eye so prettily.

My first instinct was to mat this panel on black, but the black looked too heavy and distracted from the glittery blue goodness. That's when I decided a triple white mat (1/16", 1/4", 1/16") would be pretty.

And it is!

During my next crafty session, I plan on tackling this set with my Kaleidacolor pads. A month or so ago, someone asked me to explain how to use those spectrum-style pads, and I'll try to answer that tomorrow. Also, I've created some watercolor backgrounds to mess around with using Twinkling H2Os. It's not uncommon for me to make those pretty panels, mess around with them until they are destroyed, and then give up, so you may or may not see any fruit from that particular vine.

Which leads me to ask: any requests for our Life Experiment? What more would you like to see?


Mercy, grace, peace, and love,
Susan


Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Life, Scripted
ink: Hero Arts sky blue, Memento Luxe tuxedo black
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: Stickles

14 comments:

  1. beautiful. hope you continue to improve!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're convincing me that I made a mistake selling this PTI set. I might have to buy it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful lovely card - liking this idea of using a stamp for month lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, another gorgeous example from the Life set. You have absolutely convinced me to pull out my Larger Than Life and see what I can create!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're feeling better! Yours is usually the first email I open each morning, and when you're not "there" I'm disappointed. However, I'm going to scold a little today because you're enabling me to try Stickles. :) I'm not a fan of glitter a'tall because it never goes away, but I think I would be happy with the subtle bling of Stickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stickles is MUCH less annoying than loose glitter. I got rid of all loose glitter a few years ago and haven't regretted it.

      Delete
  6. I don't know what is more exciting about this card all those lovely white layers or the glittery blue goodness. It just might be that both are equally as awesome. Glad to hear you are finally kicking the crud. The cough lingers on here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely sparkly card, but I'm mostly impressed with ALL those even and straight layers! So that would be my request...what's the secret for having lovely even layers? A die cut machine helps, but I don't think you use one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quilting ruler, craft knife, and careful measuring! This post might help: http://simplicitybylateblossom.blogspot.com/2010/10/proportional-matting.html

      Delete
    2. The quilting ruler & knife might be the key...as I always use my paper cutter & may be it's not so accurate! Thanks for the reply...

      Delete
  8. Love that you used two colors of Stickles together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never have thought to do all that matting. It looks fantastic. The Stickles are beautiful. What a pop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome card. I really like the layering of the card. I am not a huge fan of glitter but it looks so cool on the card. I am so enjoying Life Experiment. You are teaching such awesome simple cards. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!