Monday, February 6, 2017

An Experiment: Day Three

Today, we're revisiting the marker/spritzing technique for a completely different effect. Yesterday's card was simple, clean, and full of glorious white space. But the marker technique combined with the pretty solid images in Papertrey's Life stamp set can also give you a glorious, abundant field of wildflowers. Add some Glimmer Mist Dazzling Diamonds instead of water for spritzing, and it's all shimmery pastel goodness.


I realized that my New Year's Resolution to make matching envelopes often had fallen by the wayside, so here we go. A pretty field of flowers for a happy birthday greeting, and a matching envelope!

Note that the markers used included StampinUp and Memento, although for some of the images, I used the Memento dew drop pads to ink the whole stamp before spritzing because it was easier. Memento's regular ink pads (not the Luxe ones) work great for this technique as well.



It's hard to shoot a good photo of the delicate shimmer of the Glimmer Mist, but if you click on the photo to enlarge it, you might get a glimpse of it. In real life, it's lovely.

I love how different this card looks from yesterday's simpler card. It's so fun to do the same technique but get a totally different look with it.

The touches of black on this card make all the difference. If you ever have a pastel card that seems weak, add some black. It anchors the light-and-fluffy colors and brings them down to earth. 

Sadly, this experiment may confirm what I've suspected all along: the more you have in your stash, the more fun you can have. Even though I already own a number of suitable markers for this technique, it occurred to me that more would be even better.

Must. Not. Spend. More. Money.

Reader merryf asked if Zig markers would work for this technique. The only Zig markers I have are these writers from my scrapbooking days. These would not work, but if Zig has other, water-based markers out there, perhaps they would.

NOT suitable for the marker/spritzing technique!

For those who've used this technique, have you used markers other than Memento, StampinUp, or Tombow? If so, please share the ones that work for you in the comments to help others out.

Mercy, grace, peace, and love,
Susan

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Life, Birthday Bash Sentiments
ink: Memento, Memento Luxe
paper: Papertrey white, StampinUp black
accessories: Glimmer Mist Dazzling Diamonds, markers

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about adding black when using pastels, Susan. This is spectacular. I was cleaning up and found some Crayola Washable Markers that I had bought for my grandniece to use a few years ago. Do you think they would work for this technique?There are only 8 primary colors in the set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea. They might work, but my new washable markers (not Crayola) won't. It's worth a try!

      Delete
    2. thanks Susan! Your card is beautiful! I'm away from home and all my stuff so I stamp vicariously with you! I've used Crayola markers and they worked but not as well as the others. You need to "huff" more!

      Delete
  2. Love 'experiencing' your creative process with one stamp set. I have been wondering how you cut and place your layers so precisely. They always look so even. Do you have any tips? I try to be careful but, too many times I have one side slightly wider than the other regardless of my 'care'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To cut my layers,

      http://simplicitybylateblossom.blogspot.com/2015/11/tools-some-of-you-might-find-this.html

      I'm still trying to figure out the video thing, which would make this explanation better.

      Delete
    2. It tells me the page does not exist...however, I looked up 2015 and found the Omnigrid and craft knife. Is that what you use? By the way, I enjoyed a journey through your 2015 postings and there is a coffee break in my future with your earlier postings to enjoy! :)

      Delete
  3. I heard you say, "more would be even better," and then I couldn't quite read the next paragraph. It was blurry or something, so I'll just go with "more would be even better." As always, I love your card! I have a question for you: Do the random capitals in that sentiment bother you? Or the unnecessary brackets? Asking for a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy that sentiment! The whimsical lettering and brackets that give a hug work for me, especially on looser designs like this card.

      Delete
  4. I'm really enjoying seeing all the different looks you are achieving with this set. Inspiring!
    Tombow markers are my favorite, but distress markers also work really well for spritzing techniques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't have distress markers so wasn't sure.

      Delete
  5. Susan, I've done the water spritzing/watercolor thing with a set of (relatively) inexpensive watercolor markers from the art section at Michaels. I hate using them for regular coloring, but they work great for the spritzing technique, or for scribbling on an acrylic block. They aren't washable markers, but other than that, they seem to be really similar to Crayola markers to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No,no,no! Don't say that! (RE: more stash is more fun) I've about convinced myself that less is more fun. Anyway it is for me because I don't have time to plow through everything to find just the right bits to play with. There is something about misting stamps for a water color look that never gets old. I'm loving your card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving your posts this week with a favorite PTI set I also own. Thank you for renewed inspiration! I am chuckling over the random capitals question (I too wondered). I haven't recovered from "skillz"! But I see a trend in my way of thinking. It's time to loosen up! Thank you, Susan. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!