Monday, February 20, 2017

An Experiment: Day Twelve

My original intent was to post two cards today, but one met with the unfortunate fate of being catastrophically ugly.

These things happen sometimes.

Anyway, the card that DID turn out was completely inspired by my friend Audrie (she of the Inspiration Challenge at SCS). She has sent me a number of cards that feature black bases...and they are so lovely! As I examined the completed watercolor panel, I realized that a white or watercolor paper base would simply not do it justice. I thought of Audrie and pulled out some black card stock. The background colors pop right off the black.

4.25" square card; raised panel is 3.25" square

Thanks to Audrie for the inspiration!

A few loose ends. Several questions have come in. First, yesterday's card base is watercolor paper...the same paper used for the painted panel. The watercolor paper isn't stark white but is a softer off-white, and that set off the pinks and golds beautifully.

Second, the brush I used to paint these watercolor panels was a Crayola children's paintbrush...very large and round, with a tapered tip. Most of my nice watercolor brushes are too small to work this big because I collected them back when I was painting illuminations, which generally require very small brushes. When I found a pack of four Crayola brushes my son hadn't opened even though he's had them for a year, I stole them.

He's not noticed.

The brush worked great.

And now we say goodbye to the experiment with Papertrey's Life stamp set. When we started, I was in a creative slump, but this exploration of different products and techniques...using stuff I already had in my stash...jolted me out of the slump spectacularly.

This is a good idea to tuck away for future slumps, don't you think?

Tomorrow we'll move on to something completely different. Oh, my. What fun!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Life, My Favorite Things Cheerful Blessings
ink: Memento Luxe black
paper: watercolor paper, StampinUp black
accessories: Twinkling H2Os, craft foam, glue

17 comments:

  1. Striking card!! Have truly enjoyed this whole series. So much inspiration even though I am not a minimalist.
    Lu C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful background for this silhouette and sentiment, such pretty colours, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed this series and appreciate all I have learned! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been great! Looking forward to your next adventure! And I love your idea on how to get out of a slump!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a fantastic series, thank you so much! One of the early cards in this series inspired me on Sunday to make a card with PTI's Text Boxed -- which I wouldn't have thought of without your card. Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I enjoyed this series - very cool and inspirational! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the black card base, but how do you write inside? White gel pen or? Also: I would love to see some of the illuminations you have made!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved what you have done with this set! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the black totally makes this card all the more gorgeous. Thanks for taking us along on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning! I have really enjoyed this series onusing these simple stamps in so many ways. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so lovely. I have so enjoyed your Experiment posts, Susan. The results have been amazing & I'm fascinated by your thought processes. I don't feel I'm precise enough for your kind of stamping myself, but I certainly appreciate the beauty you create.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has been a great series, Susan. Thanks so much for sharing. The black base is perfect for this panel. You made another remarkable background. And thank you for letting us know that we don't necessarily need expensive paint brushes to achieve a beautiful look on our cards. I'd rather buy quality paper and stamps than paint brushes, particularly since I seldom paint.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! Thank you for letting us take part in your "deslumption" (sounds like a great word ;O)
    It´s always very inspiring and refreshing to read your blog an I thoroughly enjoy my "simplicity moments". A big "Danke" from Germany,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so enjoyed and learned so much from this series. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your talent amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great series. It has inspired me to pick a set and see what comes of it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was such fun revisiting one set! I've thoroughly enjoyed it and you have inspired me greatly at a time when I most needed it. Thank you, Susan. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this...the black matting really makes the colour pop.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!