Saturday, July 25, 2009

Graphically Speaking Inspiration: Going Dotty

As I said in this post, the newest issue of PaperCrafts magazine has an article "Graphically Speaking," full of lovely CAS inspiration. The PaperCrafts blog Moxie Fab World conveniently shows all three cards I used for inspiration here; just scroll down...you can't miss them amidst the more heavily embellished cards.

First up, I used the Thank You Dots card by Angie Hagist. I changed the color (vanilla instead of white, earthtone matte brads rather than shiny brights) and scale, since I don't have tiny brads like Angie used. I prefer her color choices (so crisp and fun!), but my birthday is around Thanksgiving, hence my autumnal take on the card. I used my SU! Mat Pack piercing template to pre-pierce the holes for my brads...that's how I got them so straight. Yeay, me!



The second card uses the Circle Graphics Thanks card by Kimberly Crawford. I don't have the cool die cut she used, but improvised with PTI's Polka Dot Basics. First I stamped the open circle border and then filled in with the individual solid circle. Turned out pretty well (even if a few solid circles aren't quite centered), and what a fun, flat card to mail!



The two cards above interpret their inspiration pieces pretty literally, with very little change at all in the designs. The last card today is more "creative" on my part. I loved the spectrum circles on Heidi Van Laar's G Thanks Card, and merged that idea with Angie Hagist's design, shifted off center to the lower right of a horizontal card rather than vertical. I used versacolor cubes to ink the dots on the PTI Polka Dot border stamp (very carefully, LOL!) and stamped them all at once. No worries about messing up the line. This could be scaled up for bigger dots quite nicely, I think.




A few days ago, I realized that I'm down to one package of PTI white and, after hyperventilating a bit, ran to my computer to order four packs, you know, so I don't RUN OUT! It was the first time I didn't get free shipping on a PTI order. It felt so strange ordering just what I needed and (grrrr) paying for shipping. For full confession, I would have met the minimum if only they'd had the Button Bits set in stock.

How can I feel so sad when I was so financially responsible? Sigh.

13 comments:

  1. these are all great. I love especially the one with the circles (black and white). Giving me ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog by looking at some cards you posted on SCS. I love they simple, clean style. Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome....you are the simplicity queen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous CASEs, Susan! I just got my issue yesterday and was drooling over some of these creations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I KNEW that rainbow dot card was the card that you were going to CASE! I'll be CASE-ing, too, that some CAS genius! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all three of these, Susan!! I can't decide which I love best, but I am surely inspired!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of these cards and every card you post here!! I added a link to your blog from my new blog since I view your daily! Thanks for so much inspiration Susan!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the dotty cards! LOVE the colorful dots against the white and all the space...It really pulls your eye to the colors! LOVE EM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! I am in LOVE with these cards!!!! You rock!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your take on the inspiration pieces. What a clever idea to use the piercing template to line up your holes perfectly for card one. I like the graphic, b&w of card two. And how cute your tiny dots of color are on the third card.

    I really want to order the PTI white for my cards since I'm doing so many white card bases these days, but I can't justify spending as much on shipping as the total of my order. And there isn't much else I'm interested in there. They have cute images but I'm not a big fan of clear stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all your cards!! how could I not...they have dots all over them :-) and I love polka dots!! In fact, I love Polka Dots so much that I ordered that one and only stamp set the night it was released...in a glazed frame of mind...not even thinking that I would need to pay s&h on it...which cost about the same as the actual stamp set!! Now I make sure to always buy a huge order at one time so that the s&h is worth it!! Oh, and I don't feel sorry for you not getting your free s&h because canadians don't ever get free s&h...no matter how much money we spend :-) Not that I'm bitter....I'm just saying ..... LOL :-)

    enjoy your white paper :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are all fantastic! Great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to breathe! I've sat with my mouth open for 10 minutes looking at these cards - they are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!