Tuesday, April 7, 2020

On Metal Shims

A few months ago, awash in inspiration from European stampers and their gorgeous creations displayed on Pinterest,  I placed an order for some dies. One was the Penny Black frond on today's card.

That die didn't want to cut in my Cuttlebug, no matter how many paper shims I added, no matter how hard the thing was to crank, no matter where I positioned it on the plate.

That was frustrating and made me (temporarily) wish I'd never gone down this expensive path of die dread and disappointment. Did it cut? Oh #$%^*@!

Speaking in symbols is never a good sign.

Then, I zoomed with a few stampy friends (Joan and Francie) and shared my frustration. Both said, "Get a metal shim" at the same time. I ordered shortly after the call, thinking it would take forever to come. It didn't.

Then, this. Inspired by Mia, whose pin has been corrupted with a bad link Norton blocked for me. (I've linked to her blog but not the specific post. All her work is amazing!)



Mia's original card has gorgeous goldfish on it. My version is nowhere near as elegant, but I do love the texture and color. I think what makes this design work so well is the combination of organic shapes (wispy frond), circles, and straight lines. Mia combined them better than I did, but the effect works even in my version.

At least, I think it does.

And I'm ever so grateful for Joan and Francie!



Be safe, everyone. Make some pretty things. Share them online. Call someone. Check on your neighbors. At a safe distance. Be the love and beauty the world needs right now.

Mercy, grace, peace, love, and face masks,
Susan

6 comments:

  1. This is so pretty!! I love the white space and the delicateness of the spray. BEAUTIFUL design!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Ginger. And thank you for the package!

      Delete
  3. The colors really pop!
    Is this the card you were inspired by?
    https://www.mias-zauberhafte-dinge.ch/author/manuela/page/117

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it was! Thanks for finding it. Mia does such an amazing job with lots of layers all still looking clean and simple. *happy sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!