Monday, July 20, 2015

Fabric Inspiration

Here's a shot of my recent order from Simon Says Stamps!


Can't wait to play around with these fun-looking sets. Now, will someone please send me some spare time? 'Cause, seriously, I need some time. So. Much. Need.

Today's cards came together pretty quickly with some CAS inspiration from an artsy source. Vickie Kammerer published a trio of fabulous cards in The Stampers' Sampler. She used some dyed fabric and stitching in a very simple treatment that's oh so colorful!


Now, I don't have a sewing machine and prefer working on paper to using fabric anyway, so I sponged  to achieve a colorful background for my heart cards inspired by Vickie.


To start, I took a large scrap of white card stock and sponged it rather carelessly with shades of hot pink and purple, making no effort to blend the colors. After I cut out the hearts using the Fiskar's ShapeCutter heart template and cutting device (so delightfully primitive!) and tested them against the white card base, I felt a little let down. Without the stitching on the inspiration cards, the heart didn't seem right, somehow.

Since stitching wasn't an option and my experiments with faux stitching generally look like a kindergartner did them, I chose to add extra dark purple ink to the edges, which gave just the effect needed to make the hearts stand out better.

The same layout as Vickie's cards, with a one-word
sentiment.
 
 
 
Layout modified to accommodate a long, narrow sentiment.


The sentiment stamps come from an old set from October Afternoon. The sentiment panels looked odd with square corners, so I rounded them ever so slightly with scallop scissors.

These cards were so much fun to make! Thank you, Vickie, for using fabric so effectively and for inspiring me to do something I don't normally do with ink!

Supplies
stamps: October Afternoon
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: make-up sponges, dimensionals, Fiskar's Shape Cutter with Heart template, scallop scissors

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!