Thursday, July 2, 2015

Using Your Punches: Grab a Fence Post

Several of my border stamps make excellent fences for cards, but the fine detail of them offers a challenge. My usual paper of choice is Papertrey Stampers Select white card stock, which is extremely heavy. It often sticks in the more detailed border punches. So for using these particular punches, I switch to two different weights of Neenah Solar White card stock: 80# and 110#. The lighter 80# gets the punch, and the heavier 110# makes the card base.

Solves the problem nicely.



As you can see, the 80# card stock punches cleanly with the border punch and doesn't cause the punch to jam at all. This Martha Stewart lattice punch gives such a pretty, delicate feel to the card, and coordinates nicely with the stamps from Papertrey's Botanical Silhouettes anniversary set. The butterflies were made using a Martha Stewart punch with vellum.

On the second card, the stamps are much more stylized and modern, so the Martha Stewart fence border, which is heavier and more angular and solid, feels more appropriate.


These stamps, from Papertrey's Trendy Tree Tops, are so fun! I love the sentiment, but there's no comma on it. I pulled a comma from an old Hero Arts clear alphabet set and added it.

Note that I used color and bling/pearls to unite the sentiment and the image on both cards. I love the little butterflies but I'm not so sure about the pearls added to the curls on the second card. Those seem a tad goofy to me. Oh, well.

If you want a chuckle and to know where the title of the post came from, check out the Bugs Bunny cartoon HERE.

"Hit 'im again, the critter ain't dead!"

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Botanical Silhouettes, Trendy Tree Tops; Clearly Besotted Happy Days
ink: Fresh Ink, Memento Luxe
paper: Neenah Solar White 80# and 110#, vellum
accessories: Martha Stewart border and butterfly punches, dimensionals, rhinestones, half pearls, glue pen

3 comments:

  1. What a great way to use the punches. I have that same Martha Stewart lattice punch so you have just helped me use it a new way. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these cards! And I was wondering how you could punch detailed shapes on heavy card stock, so thanks for explaining that you don't. Great idea to use 2 weights of Neenah to avoid different shades of white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Use foam adhesive squares to secure the top back of each flower to the card base. Glue the stem/leaf section of each flower to the card base.fencing prices

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!